Lindsay's Reviews > Locked Rooms

Locked Rooms by Laurie R. King

Oct 05, 11

Read in October, 2011

This was a fun tale of intrigue, history and murder. There are three things that I especially liked this book in the series of Mary Russell and her husband Sherlock Holmes:
1. It takes place in San Francisco during the mid 1920's, the age of jazz and flappers, and gives a clear illustration of what it may have been like to have extreme wealth; stay at fine hotels; the proper dress of the day (a proper lady must not go out without a hat and a coat!); the moods, habits and suggestive clothing of the "flappers;" the transition between Nob Hill to Chinatown; and how the lower class and immigrants were often treated when straying from their protective areas of the city. The plot also reflects back upon the great earthquake of 1906, and the damage and chaos that ensued with fire and looting. I've visited San Francisco a few times, and it was illuminating to think about the city from the point of view, in this age.

2. This book also shines a bright light on Mary's mysterious past that she has blocked from her mind, illustrating the benevolent characteristics of her family and their tragic history.

3. This is the first book in the series that attempts to switch back and forth between the perspective of Mary and then of Holmes. I was a little uncomfortable to see what the author may do with Holmes...and she did alright, but I expected much more to be going on in the mind of this famous character.

This book series keeps me fascinated!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locked Rooms.