Katie Campbell's Reviews > The Chosen

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

F_50x66
Sep 20, 11

This book focused on the development of friendship between two Jewish boys, and it has two protagonists. This book also dealt with tensions that arise when their cultures collide with each other as well as society. I liked how this book focused on the development of two main characters as opposed to only one. I felt that it made this book unique. The boys also had struggles with their fathers. The setting was also important in this story because it took place just after World War II. The political and emotional dealings with the Holocaust played a big role in the story. I learned a lot about Jewish tradition and I liked how the author portrayed the differences that some Jewish families have on practicing Jewish religion. Danny’s family focused on simple tradition. For Reuven, it was more of connecting that tradition with life’s meaning. From a writer’s perspective, I thought this book did a good job with explaining tradition and background of Jewish tradition. It seemed to be a story about understanding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen.