Rane's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

1987431
Sep 20, 2011

bookshelves: cozies-mystery-suspense, fantasy

I remember when I was a kid, my Dad took me to the Circus, a small traveling circus with a few shows and a fewer animals, a circus that was rare even then and not heard of now of days. I remember holding my Dad's hand as we walked through the huge big top tent and feeling something magical and rare falling over me.
One show that I can clearly remember even years after is of a young woman, a Aerial silk performer as she made the silk fabric dance for her with ease and grace as it wrapped itself around and around her hands and body.

Erin Morgenstern's Night Circus was much like the aerial silk performer as the story slowly and gracefully wrapped itself around me, unfolding at the same time a magical world with intertwining stories of the past, present and future. Of love, hate, hope, pain all bringing together a story that is unforgettable.

The circus arrives without warning.

Nothing has drawn me more into a book then that small little sentence. After that, Morgenstern’s story took a life on it’s own with me along for the ride. As we meet young Celia and Marco two children who are groomed at a young age to take up a challenge as they only learn about and don’t know all the rules to as they become adults. This rivalry takes center stage in the circus, the Le Cirque des Reves with it’s black and white tents. Their lives become more entwined with one another as their rivalry become something even greater- love. But with their love, the foundation, the web and the people whom are part of the circus are all effected by the decisions they make, no more so then the Circus- the beautiful magical being that it has become itself.

Morgenstern’s gives the reader a beautiful puzzle piece as she writes and jumps from past to present, this never became confusing as at times it answers a question you thought about, but just adds to the ever growing world. The descriptions of things take on something greater, as you can picture it so clearly in your mind what this object would look like and how Celia or Marco would create and perform their magic is just jaw dropping you tend to re-read the passage over again in amazement and awe. Everyone and everything is so well rounded from our two stars to their mentors and those who are part or love the circus such as the red scarf wearing rêveurs who delight in the magic and dreams of the circus.

Everything is so enchanting that it’s hard to put the book down without wanting to grab it up again or sharing a passage of the book with others. Much of the book just sticks to you long after, as you become so drawn into the circus almost becoming part of it yourself. There’s some words of wisdom in the book that strike you deep in the heart and leaving you with some food for thought.

The book will have a lot of different meanings to those who read and become capture by Morgenstern’s debut book’s magic. And that’s one of the most beautiful parts I discovered about this book, that while it will mean something different to each reader, it will still bring a sense of deep joy and perhaps a children like wonder of magic and dreams back into our lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

12.0% "Just enthralled by just the first few pages!" 2 comments
23.0% ";_;"
30.0% "and another puzzle piece falls" 2 comments
10/03/2011
54.0% "losing sleep reading this book...and I love it!" 1 comment
10/03/2011
60.0% "Marco pulls her to him in an emerald embrace, so close that no one distinction remains between where his suit ends and her gown begins. To Celia there is suddenly no one else in the room as he holds her in his arms. But before she can vocalize her surprise, his lips close over hers and she is lost in wordless bliss. Marco kissed her as though they are the only two people in the world."
10/04/2011
100.0% "*wraps herself in her red scarf* Wonderful" 5 comments
02/19/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Looking forward to your review! I've been eyeballing this one ...

Rane Tammy wrote: "Looking forward to your review! I've been eyeballing this one ..."

It's just awe-aspirating ^^

Denise Great review Rane! I remember going to a traveling circus too when I was small.. It scared the hell out of me, all the circus folks were just creepy to my 5 year old imagination. lol..

Rane Denise wrote: "Great review Rane! I remember going to a traveling circus too when I was small.. It scared the hell out of me, all the circus folks were just creepy to my 5 year old imagination. lol.."

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Great review! Can't wait to read it :)

Bark's Book Nonsense Great review, I am really looking forward to this one.

Rane Lisa wrote: "Great review! Can't wait to read it :)"

Thank you Lisa!
I hope you enjoy the book~!

Rane BarkLessWagMore wrote: "Great review, I am really looking forward to this one."

Thank you BLWM! It's a beautifully done book :D

Denise Rane wrote:Thanks Denise! *LOL* I hate clowns myself, even to this day I can't stand them. So I think my younger self might have blocked that bit out ;P "
Ohhh it wasn't the clowns. I was little, but I remember the circus freaks, like something out of a horror movie to me, that and going from one tent to another and each one scared me more than the previous. But maybe I should read this book to wash away my childhood memories :)

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Denise wrote: "Rane wrote:Thanks Denise! *LOL* I hate clowns myself, even to this day I can't stand them. So I think my younger self might have blocked that bit out ;P "
Ohhh it wasn't the clowns. I was little, ..."

AWW poor Denise! *big huggles* Does sound like a horror movie then a circus, but I can guarantee The Night Circus will leave you thinking of long ago "happy" dreams then nightmares *hugs*

Denise Thanks rane :) I will def look into this one!

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Denise wrote: "Thanks rane :) I will def look into this one!"

*hugs* I hope you enjoy the book Denise (and helps you recover from the nightmare circus you visit as a kid!)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Beautiful review, Rane! I just read a great write-up of it in our Sunday paper. Based on that and your review, I've decided to order it.

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Beautiful review, Rane! I just read a great write-up of it in our Sunday paper. Based on that and your review, I've decided to order it."

Thank you Jayne! It's such a sweeping and haunting tale- I was just blown away by it ;D

message 15: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Wonderful review Rane. Makes me want to read this one!

message 16: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Economidy Odd you should mention childhood because that's exactly what this book evoked in me, that wonderful way of being when magic was real.

Diana~ What a lovely review, Rane! I've just added this book to my list of must read books. :) And like you, the summary of the book grabbed me right from the start.

message 18: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane KatLynne wrote: "Wonderful review Rane. Makes me want to read this one!"

Thank you Katlynne! It's amazing and almost poetic

message 19: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Ann wrote: "Odd you should mention childhood because that's exactly what this book evoked in me, that wonderful way of being when magic was real."

Beautifully said Ann and very true, and I think that's what made this book so memorable

message 20: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Diana~ wrote: "What a lovely review, Rane! I've just added this book to my list of must read books. :) And like you, the summary of the book grabbed me right from the start."

Thank you very much Diana!
This book just grabbed me from the first, and it can be a little vague it only adds to the beauty of the story

Deidré Golding Stunning review that sums up the way we believed in magic as children. Those Circuses were bigger than life but this one topples it all. I've never been to a Circus like this, until I've become a true "reveur" as well.

message 22: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Deidré wrote: "Stunning review that sums up the way we believed in magic as children. Those Circuses were bigger than life but this one topples it all. I've never been to a Circus like this, until I've become a t..."

Thank you so much Deidre! This book just struck just a deep cord in me, and for me in the true magic of this book.

KindleRomance Reviews Amazing review Rane!

message 24: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "Amazing review Rane!"

Thanks Kris! *hugs*

Tarkun Great review, I totally agree!

message 26: by Janelda (new)

Janelda Gresham mitchell Rane~ loved your review! glad I found it after reading the dreary, weary bad reviews. We all need magic in our lives and I love the idea that something magical CAN last for years as the Night Circus does. Thanks for your enchanting review!

Stella Luceat Erm, pardon the weird question, but how did you manage to put in a link to another website without just coping the url and pasting it?
I'd like to quote a few other reviews on the book for my own review but I can't figure out how to do it. Thanks!

message 28: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Stella wrote: "Erm, pardon the weird question, but how did you manage to put in a link to another website without just coping the url and pasting it?
I'd like to quote a few other reviews on the book for my own ..."

here we go!

Stella Luceat Rane wrote: "Stella wrote: "Erm, pardon the weird question, but how did you manage to put in a link to another website without just coping the url and pasting it?
I'd like to quote a few other reviews on the b..."

Gah! Rane, God bless you! Thank you so much!

message 30: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Stella wrote: "Rane wrote: "Stella wrote: "Erm, pardon the weird question, but how did you manage to put in a link to another website without just coping the url and pasting it?
I'd like to quote a few other rev..."

Your welcome Stella!

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Wonderful review!

message 32: by Bo Meng (new)

Bo Meng QHHN LNL