William M.'s Reviews > Hive

Hive by Tim Curran

Sep 20, 2011

bookshelves: horror

Tim Curran continues to climb towards the top of my list of amazing horror writers. His writing confirms how consistently in command he is of his stories. While many readers might be upset at “Hive” being a semi-continuation of H.P. Lovecraft’s “The Mountains Of Madness”, I could care less. A good story is a good story, and readers do not need to know anything about Lovecraft’s story to enjoy this. But it might make reading it even more enjoyable. My bottom line for horror or dark fiction is that it needs to scare me, first and foremost. And Tim Curran delivers.

If I have any gripe with the book, besides the handful of unfortunate typos, it would be the occasional information dump that some characters discover. I think having the pieces of the mythology trickle a little more organically into the light would have been a bit smoother and more subtle. There were also a few events that take place off the page, and the reader only learns of it later. Which is sometimes fine, but I think those moments were important and I would have enjoyed reading those scenes instead of another character briefly summarizing the details to someone else in the story. Also, towards the end, I felt there were some unnecessary political jabs and Hayes’ dialogue, at times, was too wordy. Short and to the point is more effective.

Curran doesn’t pack the narrative with a lot of physical action, but chooses a more fitting, cerebral approach. The author uses atmosphere and suspense to build the horror instead of outright violence and excessive gore. I love the way he toys with the characters, isolating them not only literally, but psychologically, causing a wave of growing paranoia that perfectly feeds into the Old Ones mythology and the sanity vs. insanity theme.

The descriptive writing of the climate in Antarctica is enough to give anyone chills, and only added to the hopelessness of the characters and their overwhelming predicament. So far, Curran is two for two with me and I intend to buy and read a lot more of his work. This guy is damn good and deserves to grow his audience. He probably has the best descriptions of anyone in the genre. “Hive” is definitely one of the better horror titles I’ve read this year. And knowing there is a sequel is almost too good to be true. I, for one, cannot wait to read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hive.