Shannon's Reviews > Blankets

Blankets by Craig Thompson

Apr 29, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels
Recommended for: sentimental religious teenagers with stars in their eyes who burn things dramatically
Read in July, 2008

It started out so cutely and well drawn.. and I guess it remained both of those things. But the cuteness, at a certain point (the point of teenager-hood) was no longer cute to me. (All the stuff that took place in childhood, however, I thought was well done- especially the portrayal of adults). The lack of me finding it cute was largely because I couldn't relate (I WAS NEVER THAT CUTE OR INNOCENT). Also, I lack the ability to empathize with the main guy's struggle with his relationship with "god". Either cuz I've never faced a similar problem, being an athiest, or (more likely) I'm being unsympathetic. Cuz I wanted to like it more.. the book is sweet... just not my cup of tea (HMCLICHE!). Speeeaking of cliche, some of the phrases, while probably sincerely meant, manage to be nothing more than cliche, and thus I was incapable of doing anything other than glossing over them vacantly. SORRY authorman, but that's why it's generally discouraged to use cliches. So yeah... I recommend this for anyone who is less of a douche than me. ALSO, secret message to main character cartoon man: STOP BURNING THINGS.

EDIT: Upon lookin' at others reviews, I realized that one reason perhaps the whole religious struggle didn't work for me.. was because it was so abrupt. It seemed shallow.. he went from being a Jesus-freak to.. not so much. For no *real* reason, as far as I could tell. It probably would have been interesting to see the reasons behind his change.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blankets.

message 1: by Tortla (new) - added it

Tortla Awww...this book/graphic novel looked so cute. I'm kind of disappointed that it didn't live up to the cover (or so it seems, judging from your meager two stars, since you have yet to put up a full review). I hate when that happens.