Molly Back's Reviews > The A-List

The A-List by Zoey Dean

F_50x66
Apr 28, 08

Read in February, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This was definitely a book by a girl intended for girls. I was surprised at the language being used for two reasons: there was a lot more hot lava than I had expected for the plot, and the tone and vocabulary was strikingly similar to the way high school girls actually speak. I was impressed with the author’s ability to use this type of language. Though I felt the storyline was way too predictable and unrealistic, it was a fun read. It really gave insight to the world of adolescent lives and luxury, no matter how unlike our own they may be.

Subjects, Themes, and Big Ideas:
Growing up, making decisions, love, romance, money, family relationships, friendships.

Characters:
-Anna- main character who has recently decided to move from Manhattan to Hollywood to live with her father for a while.
-Cynthia- her best friend in Manhattan
-Ben- New love-interest of Anna’s, met on the plane.

Plot summary:
This book takes place in a few short days and illustrates the ups and downs of Anna’s move from New York highlife to the truths of “Hollyweird.” She experiences her father in a drugged-state, attending a celebrity’s wedding, falling head-over-heels, getting heartbroken, and ultimately learning a lot of life lessons in just a couple days.

Strengths (including reviews and awards):
No awards found.
Strengths: very attention-grabbing, age-appropriate tone.

Drawbacks or other cautions: Lots of cussing, strong sexual themes, and drug use.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The A-List.