Amber Paige's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Sep 20, 2011

bookshelves: dystopian, sci-fi-fantasy, swoon-worthy-male-character, i-own, absolute-favorites, signed-books, authors-i-ve-met
Read from November 18 to 22, 2011

It has become clear that dystopians are some of my favorite books. My four favorite series: The Hunger Games, Delirium, Matched, and now Divergent!
I cannot believe this is Veronica Roth's first book and that within a short amount of time after being released, it is already gaining so much love and respect. Everyone who reads has heard about Divergent by now. I was afraid that this book would not be able to live up to all its hype - but trust me, it did.
Just a few of the things I have to say....
1) This needs to be a movie. And not a cheesy movie. A real, "this-totally-follows-the-book" movie.
2) The girl's name is Tris. How cool is that?
3) The boy, Four, is totally swoon-worthy and makes the book 10x better.
4) Dystopian. Need I say more?
5) I am already anxiously twiddling my thumbs waiting for the second book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Amber Paige Liked

Veronica Roth
“Our eyes meet. I hear a train horn, so faint it could be wind whistling through an alleyway. But I know it when I hear it. It sounds like the Dauntless, calling me to to them.”

Veronica Roth
“Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.”

Veronica Roth
“I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though.”

Veronica Roth
“Then I realize what it is. It's him. Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall. Or turn to liquid. Or burst into flames.”

Veronica Roth
“Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating." He releases me but doesn't pull away, his hand grazing my jaw, my neck. "Sometimes I just...want to see it again. Want to see you awake.”

Veronica Roth
“For a few minutes we kiss, deep in the chasm, with the roar of water all around us. And we rise, hand in hand, I realize that if we had both chosen differently, we might have ended up doing the same thing, in a safer place, in gray clothes instead of black ones.”

Veronica Roth
“His absence will haunt their hallways, and he will be a space they can't fill. And then time will pass, and the hole will be gone, like when an organ is removed and the body's fluids flow into the space it leaves. Humans can't tolerate emptiness for long.”

Veronica Roth
“I stare at him. I feel my heartbeat everywhere, even in my toes. I feel like doing something bold, but I could just as easily walk away. I am not sure which option is smarter, or better. I am not sure that I care.”

Veronica Roth
“He pulls me over the railing and against his chest, gathering me into his arms, easing an arm under my knees. I press my face into his shoulder, and there is a sudden, hollow silence.”

Veronica Roth
“He gives me a conflicted look and touches his lips to my forehead, right between my eyebrows. I close my eyes. I don't understand this, whatever it is. But I don't want to ruin it, so I say nothing. He doesn't move; he just stays there with his mouth pressed to my skin, and I stay there with my hands on his waist, for a long time.”

Veronica Roth
“We kiss again and this time, it feels familiar. I know exactly how we fit together, his arm around my waist, my hands on his chest, the pressure of his lips on mine. We have each other memorized.”

Veronica Roth
“My heart beats so hard it hurts, and I can't scream and I can't breathe, but I also feel everything, every vein and every fiber, every bone and every nerve, all awake and buzzing in my body as if charged with electricity. I am pure adrenaline.”

Veronica Roth
“You will be the first test subject, Tobias. Beatrice, however...." She smiles. "You are too injured to be of much use to me, so your execution will occur at the conclusion of this meeting."

I try to hide the shudder that goes through me at the word "execution," my shoulder screaming with pain, and look up at Tobias. It's hard to blink tears back when I see the terror in Tobias's wide, dark eyes.

"No," says Tobias. His voice trembles, but his look stern as he shakes his head. "I would rather die."

"I'm afraid you don't have much of a choice in that matter," replies Jeanine lightly.

Tobias takes my face in this hands roughly and kisses me, the pressure of his lips pushing mine apart. I forget my pain and the terror of approaching death and for a moment, I am grateful that the memory of that kiss will be fresh in my mind as I meet my end.”

Veronica Roth
“He pus his lips next to my ear and says, “You look good, Tris.”

Veronica Roth
“Shh,” I say. “Arms around me.” Obediently, he slips both arms around my waist. I smile at the wall. I am not enjoying this. I am not, not even a little bit, no.”

Veronica Roth
“I feel his heartbeat against my cheek,as fast as my own.
"Are you afraid of me, too, Tobias?"
"Terrified," he replies with a smile.”

Veronica Roth
“You know I'm getting a little tired of waiting for you to catch on.”

Veronica Roth
“I have something I need to tell you," he says. I run my fingers along the tendons in his hands and look back at him. "I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though."
"That's sensible of you," I say, smiling too. "We should find some paper so you can make a list or a chart or something."
I feel his laughter against my side, his nose sliding along my jaw, his lips pressing my ear.
"Maybe I'm already sure," he says, "and I just don't want to frighten you."
I laugh a little. "Then you should know better."
"Fine," he says. "Then I love you.”

Veronica Roth
“Who cares about pretty? I'm going for noticeable.”

Veronica Roth
“You think giving you a hug would give away too much?" he says.
"You know," I say. "I really don't care."
I stand on my tiptoes and press my lips to his.
It is the best moment of my life.”

Veronica Roth
“You chose us. Now we have to choose you.”

Veronica Roth
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

Veronica Roth
“Okay, okay.” I set my hand on top of his and guide it to my chest, so it’s right over my heart. “Feel my heartbeat. Can you feel it?”

“Yes.”

“Feel how steady it is?”

“It’s fast.”

“Yes, well, that has nothing to do with the box.” I wince as soon as I’m done
speaking. I just admitted to something. Hopefully he doesn’t realize that.”

Veronica Roth
“Eric called Al's suicide brave, and he was wrong. My mother's death was brave. I remember how calm she was, how determined. It isn't just brave that she died for me; it is brave that she did it without announcing it, without hesitation, and without appearing to consider another option.”
tags: love

Veronica Roth
“We've all started to put down the virtues of the other factions in the process of bolstering our own. I don't want to do that. I want to be brave, and selfless, and smart, and kind, and honest." He clears his throat. "I continually struggle with kindness.”

Veronica Roth
“Sometimes, the best way to help someone is just to be near them.”

Veronica Roth
“Learning how to think in the midst of fear is a lesson that everyone needs to learn.”

Veronica Roth
“He turns toward me. I want to touch him, but I’m afraid of his bareness; afraid that he will make me bare too.
‘Is this scaring you, Tris?’
‘No,’ I croak. I clear my throat. ‘Not really. I’m only…afraid of what I want.’
‘What do you want?’ Then his face tightens. ‘Me?’
Slowly I nod.”

Veronica Roth
“I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless.
I am Divergent. And I can’t be controlled.”

Veronica Roth
“Yes," I say. "Three of these flying birds."

I touch my collarbone, marking the path of their flight - toward my heart. One for each member of the family I left behind.”

Veronica Roth
“I have never been carried around by a large boy, or laughed until my stomach hurt at the dinner table, or listened to the clamor of a hundred people all talking at once. Peace is restrained; this is free.”

Veronica Roth
“I feel more like myself. That is all I need: to remember who I am. And I am someone who does not let inconsequential things like boys and near-death experiences stop her.”

11/21/2011 page 288