Rachel's Reviews > Into the Wild

419307
Apr 28, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in April, 2008

I have always had a thing for survival stories, ever since Hatchet and that one I read in the sixth grade about a girl who gets into a wreck and has to survive trapped in her car for days. But this story is different, mainly because it's about someone who didn't survive, and why he ended up dying the way he did.

No spoiler alert here - Krakauer tells you about the death of Chris/Alex right at the beginning. What keeps you reading is not to see what happens, but to understand why it happened. I really enjoyed reading the excerpts from literature and stories of past adventurers in Alaska and beyond. I also enjoyed the Devil's Thumb story, since I remembered Krakauer referencing it in Into Thin Air. But my favorite aspect of the book was the investigation into the mind of Chris McCandless: what parts in his books he underlined, how he related to his parents, what drove him to do the things he did.

It's fascinating because many of us have a small part of ourselves that wishes to live as our ancestors did: simply, through physical labor and off the land. But for some, that part becomes a voice they can't ignore. Now I can see the movie.

P.S. I would be interested ot hear how Krakauer would relate Chris to the Grizzly Man guy. They seem to have much in common.

P.P.S. I saw the movie and didn't really like it. It was too fictionalized for me and didn't have that much in common with the book aside from being based on the same story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.