Laura's Reviews > Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu

Getting Stoned with Savages by J. Maarten Troost

Sep 22, 11

Read from September 20 to 22, 2011

A few years ago I had an embarrassing experience. I walked into a B and N and asked, Where can I find The Sex Lives of Cannibals? I got blank stares, an awkward chortle, and really red-faced. In the few times I've read it, it's never failed to get some attention based on the cover alone (and probably my awkward outbursts of laughter at Troost's experiences). Even still, I read it. And love it every time. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I found out he had a "sequel" of sorts out.

Troost and his wife once again find themselves adrift in the equatorial Pacific islands, away from "civilization". And once again Troost wrote about his experiences so that all of us stuck in the middle of our 9-5 Mid-Western jobs could live vicariously through him and his wife. I just didn't find this one nearly as humorous as his first. Maybe this was because I had such high expectations. Maybe because it simply wasn't as interesting. Fiji seems like a much more manageable place to live (with internet, plumbing, and other 1st world accommodations)than his first home in Kiribati. Maybe the "emotion" (how corny does that sound) wasn't the same in the two books because Troost was genuinely surprised at the lack of "civilization" in his first book, and after living there for 2 years, Fiji just wasn't as big of a shock, making the humor less intense. Don't get me wrong, Getting Stoned... had a few really good laughs canned. I was surprised, saddened, and even terrified (the centipede thing got me good!) right along with him, but I just wasn't as impressed overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Stoned with Savages.