Louise Silk's Reviews > Doing Sixty and Seventy

Doing Sixty and Seventy by Gloria Steinem

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: auto-biography

The only reason I didn't give this five stars is because I wanted more. It is more of an essay than anything.
"Aging feels like a process of the body, the concrete, the comparable, the mind. Making death real for even a millisecond feels like a mystery of the heart.

The older I get, the more intensely I feel the world around me; the more connected I feel to nature; the poignancy I find not only in very old people but also in children; the more likely I am to feel rage when people are rendered invisible, and also my own place; the more I risk saying "no" even if "yes" means approval; and most of all the more able I am to use my own voice, to know what I fell and say what I think.

I used to take pleasure going to the feminist seder. Lately I've been wondering: Why start with anything that must be so changed, so fought against? Why not begin with the occasions of our own lives and create ceremonies we need for births or marriages, adopting friends as chosen family or setting off on a new adventure, recognizing divorce as a life passage, or a new home as a symbol of a changing self?"

Gloria Steinem didn't break the mold, she made an entirely new one.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doing Sixty and Seventy.