Lisa's Reviews > Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

F_50x66
Sep 20, 11

I did not want to like this book. I heard about it when I was much younger than the demographic it's intended for and wrote it off. Now that I'm somewhat more in the crowd that could appreciate it (have grown past my asexual nerd phase), I thought it was charming. My preconceptions about the book were that it was going to glorify a slovenly attitude towards one's self respect and buy into sexual stereotypes that depict women as slutty shopaholics. There was only a teeny bit of that (and truth be told, there really are people like that, even if it's not my thing) but Bridget Jones grows on you. She sticks up for herself and her friends and even her crazy mom. The inner monologue you get to see in her diary shows some very Ally McBeal like humor in imagining worst case scenarios, best case scenarios and wonderful fantasies about the way things could be. Her outlook is generally positive and though she occasionally fucks up, the way she picks herself up is always endearing and funny. I laughed out loud almost every time I read this.
[image error]

Incidentally this was a fun segue book after re-reading all of the Harry Potters. Went from British children's lit to British chick lit, and now my palette is ready for anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridget Jones's Diary.