Stacy Arnold's Reviews > Annie on My Mind

Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: eng-412
Read in September, 2011

** spoiler alert ** At first, I didn't think this would be a book that I could really get into. Liza and Annie are 17 years old, but seemed to be much younger. At first this bothered me because the things they were doing seemed to be more appropriate for 12 or 13 year olds. But then I thought about it, and I definitely turn into a kid when I'm with my closest friends. It just shows how truly comfortable the two girls really are with each other. Its also a defense mechanism they are able to use to protect themselves while dealing with difficult issues, such as their sexuality and just the awkwardness of high school and preparing for college.
I really liked the story. Im a sucker for a love story with a happy ending. Don't think that it is just a simple story of 2 girls that realize their love for each other. The girls keep their love a secret, but are eventually caught, and the whole thing is handled in a ridiculous manner. It is comparable to the Salem witch trials, there are 2 hearings held at the school where Liza has to fight to graduate, and two teachers are called out on being gay and the effects they have on the children.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annie on My Mind.