Turi's Reviews > The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World

The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner

Apr 28, 08

bookshelves: microhistory, immersion-journalism, travel
Read in January, 2008

The Geography of Bliss wasn't quite what I expected. I picked it up because one of the blurbs on the back compared it favorably to Bill Bryson's writing, and I was in a mood to laugh. Didn't make me laugh more than a few chuckles, but it did make me think.

Eric Weiner travels around the world, exploring the concept of "happy places," places where the inhabitants are considered "happy." He hits some places that are supposed to be among the happiest, like Denmark and Bhutan, and some on the other end, like Moldova. He talks to happiness "experts" and looks at concepts like Bhutan's policy of Gross National Happiness. And he does some soul searching to find what kind of place makes him happy. Overall, this was thought provoking and really readable. I'd recommend it to a friend who reads nonfiction, if I had any...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geography of Bliss.