Read It Forward's Reviews > Learning to Breathe: My Yearlong Quest to Bring Calm to My Life

Learning to Breathe by Priscilla Warner

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: memoir-biography
Read in January, 2011

Imagine: The Glass Castle meets Eat, Pray, Love. Priscilla Warner writes about her journey in a way that's accessible to anyone who wants to find more peace in their lives.

Her story is heartbreaking in places, comical in others. She lived with panic attacks her entire life until one day (after a particularly bad, eye-opening episode) she decides she has to face her anxiety head-on. I love her curiosity - she's willing to try anything! Some of the techniques she tries I'm familiar with (meditation, yoga); others I learned about for the first time (Trager therapy, EMDR therapy).

The way she shares her experience is great - she's funny and self-deprecating. It's rare to find that combination in "self-help" memoirs - so many of them take themselves so seriously, or make you feel like you can never achieve what they have. Priscilla does neither. She keeps it all in perspective.

I visited her website and found her Breathtaking Moment videos - they're so relaxing. Just a minute or so each, a nice to way to bring quiet to my day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Learning to Breathe.