Emily's Reviews > Peach Blossom Pavillion

Peach Blossom Pavillion by Mingmei Yip

F_50x66
Sep 20, 11

As I'm writing this review, I'm thinking about how I have to go back and re-read this novel. Mingmei Yip is one of my all time favorite Chinese authors. Although, she does not have many works published, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and its insight into an ancient Chinese culture. I really like books like this--that give insight into a small facet of a larger culture, especially one as interesting as China. The author's writing evoked sympathy, and the highly descriptive style brought the world of the high ranking Chinese prostitute (similar to Geisha) house to life. The book did reference a lot of traditional Chinese proverbs and cultural practices, and I know that I may not be able to understand them all correctly, but I did interpret them through my own lens and in that way they held meaning to me in the novel (in other words, the reliance on cultural jargon was not overwhelming nor did it impact my understanding of Yip's writing).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peach Blossom Pavillion.