Janette Fuller's Reviews > Shmirshky: The Pursuit of Hormone Happiness

4919001
Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in September, 2011

This book is very different from the typical book about menopause. It will have you laughing out loud while you read about a subject that many women tend to sweep under the rug.
A "shmirshky" is a playful name for a "vagina" and is used for all women who own one. All women both have and are shmirshkies. An "erlick" is a playful term for a "penis" and all men who own one are erlicks.

The author states that she is a shmirshky who has struggled with perimenopause and menopause. "E" states that when you are in menopause, you must think inside the box. That means think about how you feel, listen to your body, and recognize your needs.

The author has done a great deal of research about PM & M (perimenopause and menopause.) She has interviewed hundreds of women and talked to dozens of medical doctors. She provides information about the symptoms of menopause, thyroid conditions, choosing the right physician, medical tests, hormone replacement therapies, sex during/after menopause, acupuncture, weight gain, emotional support and much more. This book briefly discusses the challenges of male menopause and how to recognize the symptoms.

I believe the repeating theme of this book is "You are not alone." The author encourages shmirshkies to reach out to others. Suffering in silence is OUT. Menopause is no longer a taboo subject. It is a normal part of life and shmirshkies should not be afraid to say, "I am having problems and I need your help."

I was very impressed with the detailed information that is available in this book. I was surprised when I found myself smiling, laughing and nodding my head as I read about the experiences of the author. This book will give women hope for a better and healthier future. There are dozens of links to find more information at the end of the book. This is a book that Shmirshkies and Erlicks will find informative and entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shmirshky.