Chris's Reviews > Hero

Hero by Mike Lupica

Sep 20, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, scifi-fantasy-paranormal, youth, middle-grades, young-adult, mystery
Read on September 20, 2011

I picked this book up somewhat half-heartedly sincemy son needed to write a book report about it and I thought I should have a basic idea of what the book was about. But instead of skimming, I found myself totally drawn in and read the entire book, word-for-word, in a day. Lupica has found a great character in Zach Harriman. Zach is the only son of a famous family. His father is a special advisor to the president. His mother is the daughter of another famous political family. The story starts with the father's POV as he's about to capture a Serbian war criminal. We realize the father has some sort of superpowers that allow him to dodge bullets, take on multitides of bad guys, and leap very, very high. But something goes wrong on the flight home; his plane crashes and he is killed. Now Zach must deal not only with the loss of his father but the fact that suddenly strange things are happening to him. He seems to be developing superpowers. And just in time, too, since bad things start to happen. Then there's the weird old guy who keeps showing up trying to train his powers and his Uncle John who knows about the powers and keeps telling him he's not ready to use them. One or both of them seem to be lying. Fortunately Zach has his best friend, Kate, to help him sort it out. There's lots of action and more than a little introspection as Zach deals with his grief. This is obviously the first in a series, and I'll be looking forward to the next one. Highly recommended for tweens.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hero.