Maciek's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jan 04, 14

bookshelves: dystopia, speculative-fiction, ebook, reviewed, the-ya-shelf
Read from September 20 to 22, 2011

Okay, so as Milan pointed out everybody and their dog is reading this series, so I did too! It sounded exciting, fast-paced with action, romance and adventure, set in a dystopian society where children are forced to participate in deatchmatches which are a form of official entertainment. What more could a reader want?

Well, it turned out that this reader could want quite a lot more. Since I am a well known reading snob who only reads mass-markets found in drugstores and at bus stops I'm going to bitch what I didn't like, but first I'll say what I liked. Well, the cover is nice, and so is the title, but that's about it.

Set in post-apocalyptic North America, The Hunger Games instantly brings to mind Battle Royale, the book or the film. Add to these cool teenage protagonists, some sort of Anime cosplay costumes designed by cool designers (in this book you go to the scaffold with style!) and you should have the latest teen craze which would disappear from shelves like my grandmother's homemade pierogies when I'm in her town. And, of course, you'd be right.

Only The Hunger Games is nowhere near as meaty as good pierogies, even those with cheese stuffing. It's a very quick read, because the writing style is rather simplistic. The present tense narrative should allow for closeness and attachment to the main character, Katniss, and her feelings and emotions, only either I'm getting old or am a bastard because I found it hard to give a crap about what she thinks or feels. Maybe the character was just flat as a board, or I'm getting to old for this, since this is a book aimed at teenagers. I failed to care about any of the characters and found most events to be unsurprising except for a weird thing which occured near the end of the book, but it was not quite enough to save it as a whole for me. I found the romance part to be quite emotionless and the only chemistry to be found was in the big apple which I ate when reading this book because it was as big as a tire. So, the straight forward writing serves the action scenes well, and to give the author credit there's a lot of them but they're all that there is to it, and such themes and motives have been carried out earlier by other writers.

To sum up: The Hunger Games reads like a bag of chips, meaning you can devour it in several short bites but it will leave you unnourished and aside from some gas won't have much effect. If you'll pardon the pun, it left me hungry. I might still read the other two books in the series because they read so fast and you can always do with more bragging about the number of books you've read, and there's supposed to be a rebellion or something in the second one and the third one has a cool title. Stay tuned!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Milan Oof xD

Maciek As you can guess I wasn't crazy about it. LOL!

message 3: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Ohhh....I'm sorry to hear that..

Maciek Aw Dustin, nothing happened.

message 5: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Nothing happened..?

message 6: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Wow, is it really as bad as that, Maciek?

Maciek Dustin wrote: "Nothing happened..?"

You said you were sorry to hear that, so I said that nothing happened. Cheer up, mate!

Dustin wrote: "Wow, is it really as bad as that, Maciek?"

People love it! You'll have to try it yourself.

message 8: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Yeah, I might just have to, now, Maciek.:)
Thank you for your most candid review.

Maciek Pleasure all mine, Dustin! Here's to hoping that you'll enjoy it.

message 10: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg LOL Sounds like a review that a certain apple-eating character named Ryuk might write! :P I haven't read any of these books yet but I figure I can hold off on buying any copies at the moment.

message 11: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose On behalf of fans of the series everywhere allow me to say this Maciek... pfffffft! So there! :P Eloquent & mature. I know. :)

Maciek Greg wrote: "LOL Sounds like a review that a certain apple-eating character named Ryuk might write! :P I haven't read any of these books yet but I figure I can hold off on buying any copies at the moment."

You might want to check it out from the library. These books are very popular right now.

Rose wrote: "On behalf of fans of the series everywhere allow me to say this Maciek... pfffffft! So there! :P Eloquent & mature. I know. :)"

LOL Rose! I bet you've read it three times.

Aloha I love the review, Maciek! Dead on. That's how I feel about this book, but I gave it a higher rating based on how the 9 year olds I know respond to it, and because it is geared toward YA and their enthusiastic response to it. Yes, you are getting old and stuffy. You need to have a few kids to get young again.

Aloha Jr.'s comment: I love cheese pierogies, too.

Maciek Thank you! I have kids, lots of kids. I keep them canned in my candy cabinet.

Cheese pierogies are the best!

Aloha You should give me some. It would go great with my canned chubby Italian men.

Aloha Jr.: You have a candy cabinet, too?

Maciek when we get together we'll make a chubby Italian man stew with canned kid sauce.

Yes, I do, only it's not really a cabinet, more like a basement. I have lots of cans.

Aloha Sounds kinky. I bet those cans are the only ways you can go to the toilet. Then you recycle when it becomes your food ration for the cold Polish winter.

Maciek A man's gotta eat.

Aloha That's why your Chinese horoscope is Rabbit. Rabbits eat what they poop.

Maciek And I multiply like a rabbit. Soon, I'll populate the whole world.

Aloha And you are trouble like the tribbles:

Maciek This reminds me of something, only they were screaming and running away when they saw me. I was going back home from a hockey match and found a machete on the ground. Woner why it provoked such a reaction?

message 23: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg Maybe they were terrified when they saw a giant rabbit with a sack full of cans over his shoulder wield a machete? *shrug*

Aloha Gianr rabbits are tasty!

message 25: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg But not, unfortunately, very filling. :/ I guess they are cuddley - when not brandishing a machete....

Nilesh Kashyap A perfect review, I liked it so much that I'm using few lines in my review. You might want to check it out.

Maciek Thank you, Nilesh! I am honored. I wanted to like this book a lot as everybody seems to be crazy over it, but I just didn't.

Aloha Well, Aloha Jr. has a bone to pick with you over that. She and all her 10 year old friends. They are crazy over the book. She saw the movie over the weekend with her dad and loved it.

Maciek Of course she has a bone to pick up. She's raised by a Cannibal.

Aloha We like to pick on boneheads. We have a lot of skeletons in our closet.

Maciek I'm a bookhead.

Aloha You're a boob-head.

Maciek LOL! I'm a LOLhead, too. Heads keep lolling. Get it?

Aloha And it keeps on rolling, too, after the AX!

Maciek Can it be a balistic joke?
Get it? Get it?

Aloha You're having a ball with your jokes, aren't you?

Maciek Hell yeah!

Maciek Thank you, Remi! Glad you enjoyed it!

Aloha Maciek can write like he's your grandpap telling you about a book and he's only 25. He can yap like one, too.

Maciek Yap yap yap yap...

Aloha Why did I ever suggest Skype? You can yap me to sleep, Maciek.

Maciek Yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap....yap yap yap yap yap...

Aloha I'm napping now....

Maciek You're always sleeping when you're talking to me!

Aloha ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Maciek Pfffff prrrrrr!

Pacyfa I think the way you described the main character in your review is my biggest issue with this book, I thought that I simply didn't like her (cold, distant) but now I think you have nailed it - I did not care for her - at all.
Pierogi rules...

Maciek Thanks! Pierogi are awesome! :)

Danielle Morgan Maciek,as always your reviews are refreshing and say everything I am feeling.

Maciek Thank you, Danielle! :)

« previous 1