Nina's Reviews > Brightest Kind of Darkness

Brightest Kind of Darkness by P.T. Michelle

Nov 18, 11

Read from November 08 to 10, 2011

For some reason I always seem to start with very low expectations when reading self-published books, but Brightest Kind of Darkness truly surprised me. It has one of the most original plots I have read in quite some time, a meaningful romance based on more than just good looks, and is so well written that the story completely sucked me in right off the bat.

Nara has for the last nine years had the gift of dreaming her next day the night before it happens, and the only person she has confided in is her Gran. Knowing every little detail of her next day, from the questions on her math test to when something embarrassing will happen, has had quite the influence on Nara and how she goes through life. She tries not to interfere with other people's lives, but when she dreams about a bomb going off in her high school she never questions that stopping it is the right thing to do.

I absolutely loved Ethan. As for YA goes, he is one of my favorite male characters ever, because of a few simple things. He is not insanely good looking. He is not the most popular guy in school. He is not arrogant, and has no bad boy tendencies at all. And most importantly, once he gets to know Nara he would do absolutely anything to keep her safe. Their relationship develops gradually, and is based on the time they spend together, the secrets they share, and the chemistry between them; this is not your typical YA insta!love.

Brightest Kind of Darkness raises some big questions about fate, and about how changing one little thing in the present can change your whole future. I have to say that I probably would have freaked out if all of a sudden I had Nara's gift, because I really do like going in to each day of my life unprepared, but I see how knowing what will happen can be very convenient as well. Either way I am very happy that I came across Brightest Kind of Darkness, and I can't wait for the sequel!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brightest Kind of Darkness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Newcombe Wow. Thanks for the awesome review, Nina! I wouldn't have bought this book otherwise. The summary really put me off, it sounded way too much like Evermore, but your wonderful praise has changed my mind. I can't wait to start reading now!