Michelle Wegner's Reviews > The Gospel of Ruth: Loving God Enough to Break the Rules

The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James

Sep 22, 11

Read from September 20 to 22, 2011

I loved this book on the Gospel of Ruth from the Bible. If I were naming a sub-title, I would call it, "Ruth: Not a Cinderella Story". In reading this book, I realized that so often we read it as a "happily ever after" story, with Ruth getting the guy and the baby in the end. I love how Carolyn Custis James so wonderfully describes the story of Ruth as a story of a fight for preservation, a fight for a family, a fight for the eternal souls of men and women. Ruth had the guts to do what was unthinkable in her time. In the end, she didn't end up with a matching glass slipper, but a part in the story of salvation of God's people.

Ruth allowed the tragedies in her own life to be used in the greater story. She set aside her entitledness to gain the preservation of Naomi's line, an act completely brave and selfless.

I'm glad we named our daughter Whitney Ruth as a testimony of what God can and will do in the life of a woman completely and totally devoted to Him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gospel of Ruth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Readingmomma (new)

Readingmomma Terrific review. I'm definitely going to read this one.

Michelle Wegner You won't regret it. I loved it!