Rhiannon's Reviews > The Swan Kingdom

F 50x66
Apr 28, 08

bookshelves: ya-books
Read in April, 2008

Thinking about the storyline after I finished the book, some of the 'action' seemed to...wander a bit. I don't know exactly how to describe it, because nothing was pointless. Let me put it this way.. This book focuses mostly on the characterization of Alexandra- her growth (physical and emotional), coming to terms with the people in her life, etc. There are a few large events in the story, but in between there is really not much of anything, except Alex. There isn't even much interaction with other people for much of the story. So something would happen and you're like "Alright, here we go.." and then before you know it, it has moved on to the next phase of the story and the big *whatever* you were waiting for never seemed to come. But I was so engaged with the story that it was something I didn't think about until after I was done with the book.
A huge plus, for me, was the secondary characters. There were some nicely rounded secondary characters, at least out of the more prevalent, which is often missed in fairy tales. They might not have appeared much, but the author took care to make them more than a stereotyped role. The good had their flaws and the harsh had their..counterpoints.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Swan Kingdom.