Estara's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Jan 18, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2010

** spoiler alert ** I think I'll simply quote myself from my dialogue with Chachic:

Because she's a pilot herself, all the flying stuff feels totally authentic. Her characters do so anyway, we get a suspense and an action plot and an incredible climax ... and I'm not likely to read this book again any time soon, because the Nazis are appropriately horrible (although we get shades of gray characters even when the deed is horrible) and I basically cried all through the book intermittently.

But then I'm a reader who feels with the protagonists in books, if the author can grab me, and therefore suffers with them if they suffer.

It's also an incredible affirmation of friendship and amazing females all around.It would be a great film, if they optioned it (provided they kept true to the book).

ETA: A very good point about why this is such a rare book - with two girl protagonists as friends was made by 3rddragon at LJ.

Excerpt from the comment:
I can see where it would be interpreted as a romance, not just a friendship, and I certainly wouldn't tell anyone who sees romance that they're wrong. (Heck, I'd read and enjoy well-written slash fanfic.) But it's not *my* interpretation.

I think what it really comes down to is that I'm more interested in a nonromantic female bonding narrative than a romantic one. I can come up with more examples of books with strong female protagonists who are lovers than books with strong female protagonists who are just friends.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

Quotes Estara Liked

Elizabeth Wein
“FLY THE PLANE, MADDIE.”
Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity

Chachic Hey, you've read it and gave it 5 stars! I look forward to reading a new Elizabeth Wein novel!

message 2: by Estara (last edited Sep 20, 2011 09:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Estara I read the manuscript for her, to check on the Germanness of the Nazis. It's ... well, it's a true blue Elizabeth Wein, just without any fantastical add-ons.

Because she's a pilot herself, all the flying stuff feels totally authentic. Her characters do so anyway, we get a suspense and an action plot and an incredible climax ... and I'm not likely to read this book again, because the Nazis are appropriately horrible (although we get shades of gray characters even when the deed is horrible) and I basically cried all through the book intermittently.

It's also an incredible affirmation of friendship and amazing females all around.It would be a great movie, if they optioned it (provided they kept true to the book).

Chachic She's a pilot? I had no idea! That's good then. It would be interesting to see how she writes without the fantastical elements. She's pretty much an auto-buy author for me now so I'll reading anything that she comes out with.

I'm the same way! If I'm invested in the characters, I feel for them and it's hard when they go through difficult situations. Thanks for the heads up though, I should prepare myself before I read this one.

Estara Oh definitely prepare! I'm off to work now ^^

Chachic All right then, have a nice day! :)

Estara Thank you! Back again from school now ^^ - lunch and a bit of siesta and then I can get back again to preparing for school ;-)

Chachic You work in a school? And you have siesta? I thought that was a Spanish tradition. LOL we know about siesta over here because we were colonized but we only get to do that on weekends.

Estara My dad did one all his working life ^^ - so I started imitating him when I went to school myself. Now I'm a teacher and as we don't have school all through the afternoon yet, but stop around 1 pm (starting at 8am) - I can go home and eat and go to bed for an hour or more - it just means I have to do the rest of my work later in the evening.

I'm single so I can please myself ;-)

Chachic That's a good way to spend your day! You won't be so tired in the afternoons because you get to rest. LOL I'd probably do the same if I didn't have a corporate job. Or maybe I'll just sleep in and start the work day late.

Chachic I included this book in my Smugglivus post: http://thebooksmugglers.com/2011/12/s...

Estara Brilliant! Make Ana salivate even more to review this ^^

Chachic Told Ana on Twitter that she should read Elizabeth Wein's books to get to know Telemakos in all his Gen-like glory. LOL she said she was in the library at that time, picking up books for the holidays. *keeping my fingers crossed that she got one of Wein's books*

Estara I strongly believe that once she's read Code Name Verity she'll dip her toes into the Arthuriana books. Although I'm not sure The Winter Prince is the best point, because Telemakos only starts showing up in A Coalition of Lions.

Chachic *nods head* My first Wein was Sunbird and then I read the two Mark of Solomon books. Tracked down copies of The Winter Prince and A Coalition of Lions when I went to the States in 2009.

TheBookSmugglers Just want to say thank you to you both. You were SO RIGHT. This is a fabulous book, a top 10, 10-rated, best book of the year so far, kind of book. I am just...Julie and Maddie forever. and now, I will return to that box of tissues.

Chachic TheBookSmugglers wrote: "Just want to say thank you to you both. You were SO RIGHT. This is a fabulous book, a top 10, 10-rated, best book of the year so far, kind of book. I am just...Julie and Maddie forever. and now, I..."

*hugs this comment*

I can't wait to see your review! So glad you loved it too. It's an amazing book and I really hope more readers will discover EWein's writing. Code Name Verity is still my best read for the year so far.

message 17: by Estara (last edited Feb 10, 2012 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Estara TheBookSmugglers wrote: "Just want to say thank you to you both. You were SO RIGHT. This is a fabulous book, a top 10, 10-rated, best book of the year so far, kind of book. I am just...Julie and Maddie forever. and now, I..."

WAaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO GLAD you enjoyed this. I was SO SURE it would be to your taste - but then you can always miss something that changes the impression for another reader.

Booksmugglers and Elizabeth Wein make a sensational team!

message 18: by Emilia (new) - added it

Emilia I read the Book Smugglers review today and well, just read yours and I'm so excited to read this book now!

Estara It really... is an experience not to be missed. Nourishing. Yup. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did ^^.

Patricia Burroughs I just read all these comments, since I am only now just finished reading the book. I am still breathless. I understand reading it as slash. It would work well that way, and Maddie even had a rather emphatic reaction to Engel's eyes near the end, a reaction that could be more of a sensual/sexual awareness, implying that she isn't het... but maybe I'm reading too much into that moment. All I know is, if it had been written as straight out lesbian I would have loved it just as much, but since it's left up to the reader to decide, I want to believe Maddie married Jamie. It's really the only happiness I can imagine for her, bittersweet as that would be, if what also seemed hinted at in the book was played out.