Jennifer's Reviews > Stellaluna

Stellaluna by Janell Cannon

Sep 20, 11

“Stellaluna” by Janell Cannon was one of my favorite books growing up as a child. When I was little I remember being so sad that she lost her mother due to the owl attack but was extremely happy that the mother had returned. I love this book because it gives so many messages that can be learned from the story. One of them being, that someone can have the same commonalities as you but look completely different and someone can look just like you but act different. We shouldn’t judged people based on appearance and treat them differently for it. Also, same with “Horace and Morris but Mostly Dolores” you have to be a friend first in order to have friends. The birds in the story were really nice to Stellaluna even though they had different characteristics between them. I also enjoyed how when Stellaluna found her other bat friends that they accepted her even though she was not doing the characteristics of a bat.

When it comes to the image of the book, it looks very inviting. I love the picture of Stellaluna on the cover with her tongue sticking out and the three birds and three bats in the background. It shows her being in the middle, which is a symbol of being able to be part of two groups that she belongs too and being able to be friends with everyone. I enjoyed the details of the pictures in the story. The pictures were gorgeous and the detailing of her eyes is my favorite because you can see her emotions come through. I really like the one when the bird is feeding her the bug after a few days of not eating. You can see what she is hungry and praying that the bug will taste good. I like how it gave different perspectives on the viewing of angles on the pictures, sometimes it would be really close, or far away. There is one page where it is bordered like a foursquare. It gives you a nice viewing on how to process the story in your head.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stellaluna.