Jennifer's Reviews > Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores

Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores by James Howe

Sep 20, 11

“Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores” by James Howe, is about a group of mice that are the best of friends. One day the boy mice wanted to play in the boy clubhouse, this mean that Dolores couldn’t play with them anymore because she is a girl. She wanted to play with the boys as well because she didn’t see a wall between playing with boys or girls. But, she let the boys go to the clubhouse and she decided that maybe she should try to play with the girls at their own clubhouse. Dolores was not interested in the activities the girls were playing and she wanted to have her own fun and real adventures. So one day she decided to make a change and announced that who ever wanted to join her can come and play with her. Then with the new friends that she made she went off to the boys’ clubhouse and asked if anyone wanted to play with her and her new friends. Horace and Morris were so happy to see Dolores because they missed her and couldn’t resist the chance. All 5 of them went out on their adventures and then the next day built their own clubhouse.

I like this story because the message I understand from it, is that you don’t have to choose to what group you belong. People want to feel accepted but it’s important to be open to meeting new people and trying new things. It’s great to encouraged friends to join you and build a friendly community where anyone can join. I also made the connection that in order to make friends with someone you have to be a friend first. This is really important to teach kids this because sometimes they have their own way of doing things but have trouble making friends. It’s important to compromise and understand that we all respect each other.

The layout of the book is really fun. It’s colorful with great detail of each picture. The pages are full bleed and it makes the appearance seem bigger and wider. The front is friendly and changes color according to what the background color of the big is. Sometimes there is no text on the pages because it’s a silent moment to show what the picture is saying. There is also text that shows what the characters are saying in little bubbles. I would read this picturebook to my preschool class because I think they would really like the colors and the funny characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores.