Laura's Reviews > Captains And The Kings

Captains And The Kings by Taylor Caldwell

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: bookmooch, america, family-saga, fiction-20th-century, mtbr-challenge-2012, historical-romance, read-2012
Read from June 17 to 20, 2012

A long awaited book, just arrived from USA through BM.

The tumult and the shouting dies,

The Captains and the Kings depart.

Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice -

An humble and a contrite heart.

Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,

Lest we forget, lets we forget!

Rudyard Kipling

This is the story of Joseph Armagh, an Irish immigrant, and his family.

He struggled in order to survive as soon as his mother and two little brothers arrived in America but his perseverance made him a rich and powerful man, which only dream is to make his son the first catholic president of the United States of America.

This is Caldwell's Kennedy's novel, an allusion of this tragic American family.

There is a TV series Captains and the Kings (1976)made based on this book.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captains And The Kings.

06/17/2012 page 145
18.0% 2 comments
06/20/2012 page 699
86.0% "Almost there..."
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

☯Bettie☯ oooh - thanks for the heads up on this. A candidate for winter marathon watching.

Laura it's worth reading, specially during....a marathon??? A very original idea...

message 3: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Jun 22, 2012 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☯Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "it's worth reading, specially during....a marathon??? A very original idea..."

Re marathoning: in the dark months up here in the north we spend many an evening tucked up in settee pods to shamelessly glut on visuals and this looks VERY enticing.

We plan far ahead so that everything is in place at the first sign of a snowflake.

Last winter we watched ALL Lark Rise to Candleford, Cranford, Last of the Summer Wine, Open All Hours, and the two seasons of Downton Abbey was seen off over in just 4 days. hahaha

There is a downside though - I shudder at the very thought of 'what would Dorcas Lane do.

☯Bettie☯ ETA - did you think I meant running a marathon? That would go straight to the 'nowayJosé' shelf without passing GO or collecting £200

Laura AS I said before, a very original idea!! It's raining quite a lot during our winter, a good time to decrease my mount TBR list.

Laura Bettie wrote: "ETA - did you think I meant running a marathon? That would go straight to the 'nowayJosé' shelf without passing GO or collecting £200"

I know, that's why I was surprised with the "marathon", I didn't notice it was a cultural marathon.