Lexie's Reviews > Obsidian

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

May 09, 14

bookshelves: genre-young-adult, genre-romance, review-blog, genre-science-fiction, ebooks-owned-read
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 01, 2012

Prelim Review: Oh my. At times this book got pretty heated--and that's not just a crack at the fact Dee, Daemon and half the town Katy finds herself living in are beings of light. I've always been a sucker for antagonism leading to heated embraces and these two blow the park with their bickering, fighting, arguing, baiting and taunting of each other.

I bought this book mainly because it kind of sounded like Roswell (the old TV show starring Jason Behr? Yeah I miss it too, oh hot alien guys) and that's never a bad thing. Mind you this is almost nothing like that show--except that Daemon tends to save Katy's life A LOT--and deserves love in its own right. Also the cover models are hot (yes/yes?). I'm digressing here (my official review will be somewhat less gushing....I think Daemon scrambled my brains slightly).

If I had one complaint its that something tended to get repeated often. The green of Daemon's eyes or the intensity thereof. Katy's obsessive book reading/reviewing (which I can't really complain about since, as a book blogger, I do the same things. But I definitely see why my friends get sick of hearing about it when they have nothing invested in it and other things to worry over. Like when Daemon's shirt will come off again). The rather absentee parenting is also troubling, especially after Incidents 1, 2 and 3 happen to Katy. Even if her mom didn't know the ENTIRE story behind those incidents, I would have thought she'd be more...concerned.

What to love about the book however is much higher. Highly engaging characters who made me care? Check. Storyline that was coherent, multi-layered and not filled with constant angst? Check. Steamy hot romance? Check (which brings up the point--this is definitely an 'older' YA book. Not that I believe in censorship, but for parents who are worried about the level of sexuality in a book for their kid, shirts come off and heavy make-out sessions happen and that's about the extent of it.).

Full review to be posted at Poisoned Rationality
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsidian.

12/30/2011
4.0% "ahaha I cried tears of joy when the cable got set up at my house too"
12/30/2011
15.0% "Everytime Daemon says something I hear Tucker from Red Vs. Blue saying 'Bow Chicka Wow wow' XD"
01/01/2012
36.0% "ahahaha Daemon I kind of love you"
03/11/2014 marked as: books-owned-read
05/09/2014 marked as: ebooks-owned-to-read
05/09/2014 marked as: ebooks-owned-read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christy Ohhh, how are you liking this? I'm interested to see your review.

Lexie Christy wrote: "Ohhh, how are you liking this? I'm interested to see your review."

Liking it quite a bit, though not so far in. I'm finding the book blogger references kind of amusing :D