Misty's Reviews > Feed

Feed by M.T. Anderson

Sep 03, 09

bookshelves: juvenile-ya, sci_fi-fantasy, dystopia-postapocalyptic, read-in-2008
Recommended for: teens, sci-fi people and those who think they don't like sci-fi, people leery of consumerism
Read in April, 2008

I read this book as the first in what I intended to be a "best of sci-fi summer," and though I don't know if I will stick to that, this was a good first book. It is interesting in its use of language, which is not dumbed-down per se, but is simplified to the logical conclusion, full of all those trendy little shortenings of words that keep bastardizing language until it conveys nothing (there is a quote in there somewhere, I think from Jane Austen or Margaret Atwood -- I know, how different could they be -- about the point of language being to obfuscate, not convey, but that is beside the point). This book is all about consumerism taken to extremes, and the lives that creates. The book lulls you with the language and the fast pace, and then Anderson drops these little gems in your lap that make you stop and really think, which is admirable in any book let alone a YA. Really well done and accessible once you get the language down, and worth it if only for the conversations it will provoke. And because I am a quote-freak, here is one of the shorter ones I loved from this book:

"The only thing worse than the thought it may all come tumbling down is the thought that we may go on like this forever."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeremy (new) - added it

Jeremy I will read it very soon.