Katie Pohling's Reviews > Angela's Ashes

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Sep 20, 2011

liked it
Read in September, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angela's Ashes.

Katie Pohling “Angela’s Ashes” was a well thought-out and interesting novel written by Frank McCourt. It was one of a few memoirs I’ve read and it was better than I expected. It was a memoir written with countless emotions mixed throughout the book. McCourt talked about his early childhood in Ireland, growing up in poverty with several siblings, an abusive and alcoholic father and a chaotic family in general.

The author had a very serious tone throughout the story, but also used humor which kept the reader interested. It’s a very difficult task as an author, so McCourt’s humor was very beneficial. Even when describing his tough and miserable childhood in Ireland, he made depressing parts somewhat uplifting because of his humor.

All through the story, McCourt and his family face hunger, illness, neglect and depression and loosing several family members. He incorporated a lot of figurative language and used elements of voice, such as imagery, details and diction. By using these elements, the author was able to gage in the reader and keep them interested. He was also able to shortly describe something but get the point across which is difficult for most authors.

The text itself was too difficult, but sometimes I found myself lost. It was set in the 1930’s so the language was a bit different and in Ireland, so some phrases or people talking made me confused. He had an interesting text style and could somehow keep the reader laughing and crying at the same time.

This memoir had a very impacting and interesting plot, theme and characters throughout the book. It seemed as if Frank was always in a rut or in between some sort of disaster, but somehow ended with a good positive attitude. It had a good story line and I would recommend it to any reader.