K's Reviews > When a Crocodile Eats the Sun: A Memoir of Africa

When a Crocodile Eats the Sun by Peter Godwin

F_50x66
May 03, 08

bookshelves: memoirs, africa, thank-god-i-wasn-t-born-there, inspiring-story-uninspired-book, situation-not-a-story
Recommended to K by: Margueya
Recommended for: people who enjoy reading about foreign locales

Margueya, I'm with you on this one. It was very interesting to read about Zimbabwe, which is a place I don't think about very often. I also give Peter Godwin credit for writing a memoir which was not particularly self-absorbed or self-indulgent; Zimbabwe and his parents were more of a focus than his own story. I only gave it three stars, though, because it did drag in the middle and felt repetitive at times. I would still recommend it; I just wish it had been shorter and tighter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When a Crocodile Eats the Sun.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by M (new) - rated it 3 stars

M Did I send this? I don't remember. Either way would love to hear your thoughts

message 3: by K (new) - rated it 3 stars

K Yes, you did. I just started it, so I don't have an opinion yet except that it seems to be well-written and the topic is interesting. You know I'll keep you posted!

message 2: by Riv (new) - rated it 4 stars

Riv Khaya, I thought you had recommended this one, and after having just read Godwin's article on Mugabe in Vanity Fair, I went looking for it. I will let you know when I get through it.

message 1: by K (new) - rated it 3 stars

K Great -- looking forward to hearing your impressions. For me, it was the kind of book that I enjoyed having read more than I enjoyed the actual process of reading it, but it wasn't bad.