Michela Walters's Reviews > Twenty Boy Summer

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, death-or-dying, good-read-recommend
Read from January 17 to February 05, 2012

When I started reading this, my expectations were on the low side. Another YA book where there's a death of someone the main character loves(d). What I didn't expect is to enjoy the ride that Anna took me on when she decided to go on vacation with her best friend (and sister to her now dead boyfriend). Anna and Matt never get around to telling Frankie about their blooming relationship, and before either of them has the chance, Matt dies in a car wreck.

The following summer, Anna joins Frankie and her parents on a trip to California in an attempt at bringing normalcy to their family dynamic that was shattered when Matt died.

The book is done in such a way that while you do feel sorry for the characters, you root for their journey towards healing and adapting to a life without someone you love.

I enjoyed the last quarter of the book a great deal and was honestly shocked by that fact when I closed the book last night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty Boy Summer.

02/03/2012 page 35
12.0% "Why do I keep doing this to myself? I choose books where someone dies? I really liked Matt for the first chapter before he died... (not a spoiler, its on the book jacket) - Now, I'm just not sure if I'm going to like it or not. Frankie seems a little annoying & boy obsessed. I fear once again that I need to go back to straight up fiction instead of the YA that goodreads keeps rec'ing me. ;-)"
02/04/2012 page 62
21.0% "Well, they're off. Guess I'll see where this book is really going."
02/04/2012 page 186
64.0% "I'm kind of shocked. I'm liking this book a lot more than I would have expected. Anna is relatable & her secret grief palpable."