Kirsti's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

May 19, 08

Read in May, 2008

"Intelligently surprising," posts Kirsti Meyer from the Meyer Sporadic Times. If I were a reviewer with clout and authors/publishers cared about my words enough to print them on the cover (or inside pages) of books, that's what my contribution would be, "intelligently surprising".

At first I was put off by the book. It took me a few days to get into the story and characters and I almost stopped reading it altogether, but decided to press forward because it was so short. I'm very pleased I kept reading. Turner is an expert author of hidden suspense. I was taken unawares by the simple introduction of the story and characters that I didn't think to look for more depth.

There are two other books in the series, I read all of them twice and enjoyed Turner's ulterior writing throughout. The third book is a little more base than the other two. Turner is more forthright in the third book. Perhaps the style change is intentional to help the reader immediately understand the twists of political intrigue, or it could be another rouse by the author to keep her readers unawares.

Personal prediction - If Turner's excellent writing continues, I see a Newbery award for one of the next books and a series as exciting and influential as The Dark is Rising and The Prydain Chronicles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Pili You really should become a reviewer with clout, you did such a good job on your review, i'm going to add these books to my to-read list! Thanks! -Pili

Lisa I second Pili. Is their some inane publication that you can start sending your reviews too? Then work your way up! It sounds so easy in my head.
Well, whatever you do, I hope that you've enabled access on your goodreads account so that everyone can see what you're reading/writing.
I'm gonna think of a good name for your column; you get to work.

Kirsti Ah shucks, ya'll 're too nice to a po' little hometown bumpkin like myself. Go'on!

Cindy Ok, I'm half-way through the first book and came to see your review so that'd be encouraged to keep reading.... ok, back to it!