Kulsuma's Reviews > The Maze Runner

Sep 20, 2011

did not like it
Read from September 20 to October 23, 2011

-CONTAINS SPOILERS-

I read The Maze Runner due to positive reviews which were highly complementary and because I love dystopian fiction. Though I was wary that the book would end in disappointment, I was trapped by the maze of the book. It kept promising to deliver answers and positive action but unfortunately, it did not do so on both accounts. It was a dead end.

I have a rule where I stop reading a book if I don’t think it has promise by page fifty. However, just as I was about to stop reading The Maze Runner; something dramatic happened through the appearance of the only female character in the entire maze. So I persevered- but my valiant effort was not rewarded.

The characters were 2D. They spent a lot of time swearing. Dashner changes the conventional swear words into made-up terms of his own. Only one term is explained; ‘clunk’ means shit and words such as ‘shank’ are never explained. The Maze Runner would have been better with less swearing, it just got in the way of the story. I’m sure the book would have been reduced by at least thirty pages if it had cut the swearing out.

The other characters constantly tell the main character, Thomas, to wait till later to find out answers which are never given. The Maze Runner was also so long-winded because the characters did not have any memories from before the Maze. Even when Thomas can get his questions answered from Theresa on several occasions, he instead runs away, leaving me infuriated.

Theresa, the only female character in the Maze, was a disappointment. She was two-dimensional like the other characters and didn’t do anything unless she was told to. She did not use her own initiative as can be seen at the end of the book where Thomas has to tell her (while fighting a monster) to push a very important button. Also, there was no point in the telepathic link that Thomas and Theresa shared as they did not say anything of great import to each other.

The Maze Runner had too much suspense and not enough answers. It is necessary to give the reader enough information to keep them going. Even when some information was given in the last few pages, it was not sufficient and I felt cheated. The storyline in the Maze should have been interspersed with scenes from the outside world and the scientists. This would have made it more bearable.

You would have thought the inhabitants of the maze who had been stuck there for two years would have attempted to compare the different sections of the maps together, however they only analysed the maps individually which I thought was odd.

I was not surprised by the ending as I had figured out that the survivors of the Maze had gone from one experiment to another. I think the characters would have been wary that this could have been a possibility. We never did find out what the Maze was meant to prepare them for.

The Maze was a completely pointless exercise and I do not want to waste any more time reading the next books, The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure. At the end, Thomas and the others are lulled into a false sense of security which I thought they should have been smart enough to see through. I did not get a great sense of what was going on in the real world as this was rushed at the ending.

I would not have written a review of this book as I have wasted enough time reading it, but I thought I should give an accurate picture of my opinion of this book. The Maze Runner was not a worthwhile read and I do not recommend it, however if you liked The Knife of Never Letting Go- it’s more of that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.

Kulsuma 200 pages in. Kind of slow & it's starting to remind me of LOST which is never a good thing. Hoping for some answers soon before I am driven crazy.