Christina Tang-Bernas's Reviews > Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs

Brainiac by Ken Jennings

Sep 20, 11

Read in September, 2011

It usually takes me FOREVER to finish non-fiction books (as evidenced by the fact that most of my "currently reading" list is non-fiction and the books on it have been lingering for years. I love Jeopardy, that feeling of yelling answers (mostly incorrect) at the TV screen and that glow of happiness when you get one correct, so of course, I knew of Ken Jennings, one of Jeopardy's most famous stars. When my husband checked this book out of the library and recommended that I read it, I was hesitant but since I genuinely liked Ken Jennings, I decided to give it a chance.

It was WONDERFUL. I read through it so quickly. I loved reading through the history of trivia and the weird and quirky personages that inhabit that world. I loved how Ken Jennings seamlessly intertwined his own experience of Jeopardy throughout the book. One of my favorite things about the book, however, were the random trivia questions interspersed throughout the book so that I could test myself and then check the answers out at the end of each chapter. I think Ken Jennings has a great sense of humor: self-deprecating, dry, and witty. It's very rare for me to laugh out loud while reading books but I was literally clutching my stomach reading this in the middle of my train commute while the guy sitting next to me eyed me nervously. Perhaps it's because his particular brand of humor appeals to me, but I found this book a fun quick read AND I learned some really cool trivia facts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brainiac.