Lauren's Reviews > A Dublin Student Doctor

A Dublin Student Doctor by Patrick Taylor

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in October, 2011

I had some serious issues with the writing in this book! It starts out jumpy and confusing, you can't tell what time period you are in. It's SO repetitive, if you took out every time he repeats something it would be 100 pages shorter. And the ending...I won't spoil but it's just off. But I had an Advanced Reader copy (I won from Goodreads First Reads) so I'm hoping that an editor went through and at least fixed some of this before the book was actually published. For that reason, I didn't deduct stars from it even though it made reading tough.

All that said, people aren't reading this book for the writing; they come for the characters. Taylor presents a fun group of characters (new and old) and puts them in an interesting stetting. I learned a lot about medicine and the state of Ireland in the 1930s.

I'm not sure I would recommend this to a reader who hasn't read anything else in the series, however those who are already familiar with Dr. Fingal O'Reilly will enjoy learning more about his past.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dublin Student Doctor.

09/20/2011 page 45
10/05/2011 page 245
53.0% "I WILL FINISH THIS BOOK!!!"
show 5 hidden updates…