Kathrynn's Reviews > Behind Closed Doors

Behind Closed Doors by Shannon McKenna

Dec 08, 08

bookshelves: own, romance-suspense, 2008, theme-heroine_tstl, theme-hero_scurvy_dog, hot, reviewed
Read in December, 2008

This book had a lot of potential--good suspense plot, nicely written and two characters that "could" have helped me like the book. It started right off, showed the characters' flaws, so I rolled with it. Hoped they'd develop together and redeem themselves. For 90% of the book, they got on my nerves.

Raine (Lorraine, Katya, Katie...) cried too much--about nothing. She often burst into giggling fits after or before crying. Her character needed more backbone and for someone who traveled as extensively as she did, learned numerous languages, her age, she should have been more together. She let the hero, Seth, walk all over her. He was severely dominant and moody. It was an abusive relationship. He could call her names, then have sex. He was a neanderthal and just when I thought he was coming around, he'd blow it. Not until the very end did he get his head out of his butt and it was too little too late for This Reader.

The plot dragged out because this book was too long. No way was it necessary to be 430 pages. Cut down on all the filler sex that went on for page after page and get more into the plot and stop the characters from loving each other one minute then fighting/having sex. Punishment sex! Controlling sex! Get you to talk sex! What a load of crap. The most powerful sexual organ in the female body is the MIND. Her crying and hating him one minute, then him having control of her body and giving her mind-blowing orgasms. (zzzzz)

Raine became the first female for me to add to my "Theme-Heroine_TSTL" shelf. And boy did she earned it!

Blech!

There were some similarities in the hero here and in Anne Stuart's Ice Series. Very dominant men. I think the main difference, for me, was the females Ms. Stuart paired the men with had a brain and were not cry babies. The heroine in this book was too weak for this hero, IMO.
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind Closed Doors.

12/05/2008 page 143
33.26% "Heather! Another book in the Seattle area. Mention Frido Kahlo, Pike Street Market and the Space Needle.... Not sure about this one, yet." 6 comments
12/07/2008 page 298
69.3% "The characters are becoming more likeable, but I'm ready to move the plot along and get out to something more romantic."
12/08/2008 page 430
100.0% "I didn't care for it. Review coming."

Eastofoz Hi Kathrynn
Just to give you the heads-up (because I wish someone had told me when I read this book) the heroine is big time TSTL (!) This was one of those series touted as a having a great alpha and great story. I thought the alpha was a neanderthal and the story was 150+ pages too long but it's the heroine that sent me over the edge (lol)!

Kathrynn Thanks East.

What's TSTL?

Eastofoz Too Stupid To Live--ie the heroine does the most idiotic duh-like things throughout the book. Sort of like the bad horror movie where they say "don't open the door!" and the girl with an idiotic smile on her face does (!).

Kathrynn Oh! Thanks East.

Auntee Looks like you and East are in agreement, Kathrynn! BTW, love your shelf title!:)

message 6: by Miss Kim (last edited Dec 08, 2008 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miss Kim I busted out laughing at the new shelves; good one!

Eastofoz LOL Kathrynn! You rated it worse than I did! I totally agree that it was way too long with filler sex galore and the TSTL broad was so annoying! "Scurvy Dog" --love that one (lol!)

Kathrynn I did. Three stars was I liked it and 2 stars was it was okay. For me, it was okay, but I didn't like it.

LOL Would like for Raine to have confronted her mother more than she did. Left "the bad guy" issue unresolved...other stuff.

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Love the new shelf titles! I think you should take it one step further and add shelves for "Punishment sex! Controlling sex! Get you to talk sex!"

Auntee Kathrynn, if I remember correctly, the bad guys and/or his cronies keep popping up in this series. Which of course, won't matter to you because I doubt that you'll continue on--will you?:D

Kathrynn LOL, I have #2 and #4 already, so I will read them...one day. I think you indicated this was the one you liked least in the series...the others HAVE to get better. Right? ;-)

Tammy and East, LOL!

Auntee Well, yeah. But I'm getting the sinking feeling that you may find the McCloud boys even more offensive! LOL! What can I say, I'm pretty tolerant!:)

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Auntee, you crack me up!

Kathrynn and East, you may like "Return to Me" better. I have a problem with McKenna's angsty Uber-Alpha heroes. I get enough of that at home, if ya know what I mean? I can only handle dishing out so many boxes of Man-Pampers, before I give up. LOL

But in this one the hero wises up fast. Nice change. I will finish it tonight, but so far so good. I would say it is the best of hers I have read yet.

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

Eastofoz LOL on the "Man-Pampers" Laura --that was good ;)

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Love your review. I completely agree with you. I couldn't stand the characters. I was really surprised as this book gets good reviews. BTW, what is TSTL?

Eastofoz Lisa, TSTL = Too Stupid to Live. It describes a really dumb heroine who does the stupidest things (sort of like the dumb blond co-ed in a horror movie).

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa LMAO! That's hilarious. This book definitely should be categorized under that. Did you ever get a chance to read the other books in the series? Is it worth it?

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Thanks, East! Unfortunately, I'm still buying large boxes of Man-Pampers for the Alpha man in my life (Wes). Notice that was "man" instead of "men." That's right, I kicked all the other Alphas out this year. You'd be so proud of me! I mean, enough is ENOUGH, ya know? *falls over laughing*

Laura Stamps
Paranormal Erotica Novelist
(vampires, shapeshifters, witches)
(All Kindle & pdf ebooks are $1.99)