Clara's Reviews > Irrational Man: A Study in Existential Philosophy

Irrational Man by William Barrett

May 19, 08

Recommended for: Anyone who wants to know what "existentialism" means
Read in May, 2008

This book is probably the best introduction to existentialism that I've ever read. Barrett presents the central ideas in a clear manner which are easy to grasp for someone who's relatively new to philosophy and existentialism. The introduction to the four key philosophers is a good point, but as a previous reviewer remarked it's clear that Barrett favours some more than others. At times it gets a little dense and you feel you have to keep a number of abstract ideas in your head to keep up with Barrett but I have a feeling that's a feature of most of philosophy. It was a book I couldn't put down, suddenly everything I had wanted explaining about existentialism was being explained in a clear, easy to grasp manner. The book is a bit dated (it's written about 10 years after the Second World War & Sartre was still alive when it was written) but you can see why existentialism was infiltrating so many cultures.
Well worth the read for all those who'd like to know about one of the major philosophical school of the Twentieth Century.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irrational Man.