Kara's Reviews > Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

Aug 04, 2008

did not like it
Read in August, 2008

Wow. Big disappointment. I was hoping for some insight into this this man who was so hilarious in the 70s, yet disappeared to later reemerge as a family-friendly "light" comic actor. But this is an impossibility due to the fact that Martin seems to have little insight into himself.

His book reads like a Filofax diary of who and where and what. What's missing is any genuine humanity or emotion. Is he married today? Has kids? Who knows because it's not addressed.

He also appears to have less emotional connection to the women in his life than he did to his stage props. (I actually detected some emotion when he talked of his magic rings and arrow-through-the head prop - but I could be mistaken.)

I walk away from reading this book thinking Martin has got to be a very shallow man, and feeling duped that I found him so interesting back in his SNL days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Standing Up.

08/27 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-5 of 5) </span> <span class="smallText">(5 new)</span>

message 1: by Dave (last edited Aug 23, 2009 12:39AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dave Riley I'm with you: sterile and perhaps a manipulated narrative.

Olga Agreed. I guess, all the rave reviews are from true fans of the man, who could not separate book from the man....

Maureen When I was reading this book, I couldn't get over the fact that he came across as pompous and contrived. It was a snooze-fest.

Cyndi I agree! And the audio book was no better. Disappointing.

Cody I was no fan of his, but the book made me into one. Any of his interviews you see how calculated he is with everything he says, which makes him so hilarious. Just because he moved passed his silliness doesn't make him shallow. He does not bring up his family because he tries to keep them sheltered from his fame. In the closing pages when he talks about the passing of his mother, I was genuinely touched.