Keegan's Reviews > On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep

On Becoming Baby Wise by Gary Ezzo

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: parenting
Read in January, 2011

Well, it will quickly become clear that I'm just generally not too fond of parenting books. This one particularly annoyed me because it seems to suggest that the only way to raise a healthy, happy child was to do it by this method. I DO know a baby whose mother used this method and he is a delightful healthy, happy child, but they still lost me on that because I already have a three-year-old with whom I broke many of their rules and he's a delight and he sleeps fine in general and has for quite some time. Apparently the book is quite controversial in medical circles. And perhaps there are worries about it, but as I said I do know a little boy who was allowed to cry himself out throughout the night and he didn't appear any the worse for it. Still, the suggestions didn't fit my parenting style very well and the arrogance of thinking yours is the only way annoyed me no end. The one concept I thought had merit despite how annoying the tone of the book was, is the "eat, play, sleep cycle." I think I might try that more with my next children. (I will admit, I didn't read all of it, so maybe it makes up for itself in other ways, but as it was, didn't love it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Becoming Baby Wise.