Mo's Reviews > Another World

Another World by Pat Barker

Apr 28, 2008

liked it

Alrightish, but nothing special. I really loved Barker's 'Regeneration', but wasn't too keen on 'The Eye in the Door' since main character Billy Prior didn't interest me as much as Sassoon and Owen. I thought I'd pick this one up since it seemed to be dealing with trauma, memory, things like that. While those themes are brought into the narrative, they aren't explored as much as in the Regeneration-books. There are some other interesting themes here (moving forward, bullying, family relationships), but as some other reviewers pointed out the story just doesn't seem to add up. The different things going on aren't really connected (besides all happening in the vicinity of the main character) and the ending felt a bit unsatisfying.

Still, it's a nice enough book. It's well-written, has some good characters (Geordie in particular) and is entertaining enough. However, I feel it would've been better if a few things, most notably the character development of Gareth and the ghostly girl, had been woven more tightly into the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another World.

07/14/2016 marked as: read