Nicole Storey's Reviews > Marysvale

Marysvale by Jared Southwick

May 04, 12

Read in May, 2011

Happy Friday! Today, I am reviewing an excellent book! Jared Southwick's, Marysvale, has a little something for everyone. This was one of the first books I read when I got my kindle. However, back then, I didn't have a blog, nor was I reviewing books. My book review group on Facebook chose Southwick's book to read and review this month. I was so excited because I knew it was a book I loved and it gave me the opportunity to revisit an old friend. Once again, I was enveloped in its magic.

This book is well-rounded. It hits on all the elements which make a great read. There are strong characters (male and female), suspense, action, adventure, monsters, and a touch of romance. Southwick has a gift for weaving all of these components together into a tapestry rich with bold colors and beautiful design.

This book would also be excellent for juvenile and YA readers! The addition of a fearless horse named Smoke, a touch of magic, and a spry young girl named Hannah will definitely appeal to them. Also, the monsters are not mindless killing machines. They are intelligent, which puts an exciting twist on the story and heaps on the suspense!

In the reviews of the book, some claimed the characters were too "shallow" and they couldn't connect with them. I beg to differ. In my opinion, there was not a character I didn't love - even the villains were well drawn. My only complaint is that I would like to know more about the leaders of Marysvale. A little back-history on them would be nice. However, there is a sequel, so maybe the author divulges more information in it.

I found this book very enjoyable. It held my attention from the first page and I can't wait to read the second installment titled Alyth! I give this book 5 stars! Great job, Mr. Southwick!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marysvale.