Chris's Reviews > Falling Together

Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos

Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, 2011-shelf
Read from September 25 to 30, 2011

I won this book from Goodreads and was excited since I rarely win anything. A new author to me with good reveiws from her two prevoius books, I couldn't wait to read it. I really wanted to like this book, and I tried to like this book. I feel bad that it just didn't happen for me. The author has a lovely command of language to the point of being poetic; however, as the book progressed its beauty turned tedious for me and I just wanted her to get to the point she was trying to make.

The story is about 3 people that becames best friends in college only to end their friendship after college. Before their 10 year reunion Cat emails Pen and Will out of the blue that she needs them. Then started the flashbacks to lay the backstory, which at times I found confusing. I have to be honest that I stopped reading about 100 pages into the book. The characters did not come to life for me, nor did I particularly like them. Pen, who seemed to be more of the main character of the 3 friends, came across as whiny and lead me to stop reading.

If you like the coming-of-age genre with more dialogue than action, this might be a book that you might want to try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Together.

09/27/2011 page 65
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rose I hope you give this another try..I wasn't sure at the beginning (and I've read her other two books) but I stuck through it and then wound up hating that it had to end!!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I heard this author was good and I haven't read her other two books, but this book is a trial for me. I'm listening to the CD version, but if I had the actual book, I'd skip pages of Pen's scattered and boring thoughts and try to find where something actually happens. So far (I'm on disk seven) it all seems to be background and lead-in to a story that hasn't happened so far.

Kerry Anderson I should just write "ditto". oved her other books, labored through this one. I loved her other books but really labored through this one. She's a great writer but this one fell short.

message 4: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Ditto everything you say. I won this book too, and was excited to read it as I have read another of the author's books and enjoyed it. However, this book took me forever to read because I never quite got into it. The story is a lovely one, it just took way too long to tell it.

message 5: by Missy (new) - added it

Missy How do you win books on here ?