Sian's Reviews > The Fifth Favor

The Fifth Favor by Shelby Reed

Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: read-2011
Read from September 21 to 22, 2011

** spoiler alert ** oh WOW! That pretty much sums it up for me with this book.

Punya H recommended this to me, and I bow down to her, because this book was just brilliant.

Adrian/Chris was just such a sweetheart, and whilst reading this he put me through so many emotions. Laughter, sadness, angry and there were even times towards the end where I felt myself get a bit teary.
I loved the heroine Billie. She was extremely likeable and I really felt my heart breaking along with hers at the end.

Neither characters were perfect though, both were flawed and that made them seem more real for me.

I have never read a book where the male lead is a gigalo before, and it intrigued me to begin with and I found myself reading this and becoming quite interested in his world and how he became the best escort there.
I actually expected to have a problem with him entertaining other women whilst in love with Billie but I found it didnt actually bother me as much as it would have done if I had been reading another romance. I think it was because he acted like a robot and just got on with it.
The suicide of his best friend was also heart-breaking, why he did it and and the fact noone not even Adrian/Chris could help him fight his demons.
Billie was strong, but was naive at times. The only time I really got peeved with Adrian/Chris was when he kissed that other woman right in front of Billie. When she ran off I was right there with her, when he follows her and she allows him to put his hands on her I think she should have slapped him and told him where to go. (Thats what I would have done).

The sex scenes were hot and very erotic. But what I loved about this book was that it is not your typical "erotica" type story. It would be wrong to actually put it in that category. Most erotica's do not have a storyline past the sex, but this book had an excellent storyline. Yes it involved the sex industry and it had plenty of it in here, I just fell in love with Adrian/Chris whilst reading this.

Now I have off to sigh and swoon some more. A definate keeper for me. This is one I would and will be reading again in the future. And I will also be exploring more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Favor.

09/21/2011 page 146
09/22/2011 page 238
64.0% "WOW! Sigh...and all those other type of words for Adrian"
show 1 hidden update…

Sian loving this so far

message 2: by .þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] (last edited Sep 22, 2011 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Sian, I agree on you about everything but mostly what you said about how it stands out from all those trashy erotica out there. It's because of stories like this I'm looking more into erotica but it's difficult to find good authors IMO who deliver sexy, steamy stories with a great plot and a sighworthy hero like Chris. I very openly admit that most of the stuffs erotica deal with aren't my cuppa and if I know some of those elements are involved in a book, I stay miles away. Sadly, not always I find reviews to tell me what's inside the story. Recently I read a book like this and it was full of things I'd rather forget I read. I think I should've put the book down when I didn't find any conprehensive review on that. lolz

I think I'm going to read Shelby Reed's other books. Hope I discover more authors like her and books like The Fifth Favor. I'm so glad you liked it. :)

Sian Thanks hun, I totally loved it. And if Chris were real....we may have to fight for him lol
Thank you for recommending this to me. I loved it. Its going to be one that stays with me for a while, would be in my top 10 of fav reads this year so far.

Unfortunately I find a lot of erotica stuff is free on the Kindle and I always think "ill give this a go" and most of the time always end up regretting it. I am not a prude in any way but sometimes you need more than just the sex scenes.

message 4: by .þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] (last edited Sep 24, 2011 01:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Sian exactly, being a prude has nothing to do with it IMO. I DO NOT consider myself a prude, I never was and I love sex. But, equally some stuffs are just too disturbing to read. I don't know if you read my recent status update but I've been into this group and found out they were bashing up people who doesn't like 'you know what kinda'-stuffs, calling them 'prudes' and so on and if they can't handle it why do they read erotica bla bla bla. That book was a free read for God's sake! I was pretty pissed reading their posts. I can call names to them too but did I? I wanted to tell them read books like TFF and then judge. lolz

Sian No I didnt see that, which group was it?
Tbh when they are a free read you dont always know what you are getting. I have had some appalling books in the last year since owning the Kindle lol the worse for me to are the Christian romances...if it looks to be a christian romance I research it first before downloading lol

Taryn at My Secret Romance Is this a m/m romance book?

Sian Nope F/M Female lead is called Billie though :)

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] I had a little trouble with heroine's name lolz. I wish it was Punya ... ermm, no, no ... I mean something that sounds female... :p

Taryn at My Secret Romance Thanks, Sian. Those names can go both way thats why I wasn't sure.

message 10: by Sian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sian Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Thanks, Sian. Those names can go both way thats why I wasn't sure."

Yeah I know :)
honestly tho i can honestly say u will never see a M/M or F/F or even M/M/F or any type of 3 way thing romance type book on my reading list....doesnt do a thing for me lol

Taryn at My Secret Romance LOL That's good to know now when I see your reviews! I'm not into that kind of romance either. I mean I've read it on accident but I won't search for it.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Awesome review!!! I am curious does it have a hea?

message 13: by Sian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sian sorry jojo am not up with all the abbreviations lol what is hea?

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Sian, HEA is happily ever after, if you don't mind me butting in. :)

message 15: by Sian (last edited May 02, 2012 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sian lol of course not and well not fairy tale happily ever after but def is a happy ending :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Thanks Sian. I only like to read books where the two main characters end up happily together. I read for happiness not to be sad.

message 17: by Sian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sian same here and if it had had a sad ending i would have thrown it across the room :)
which is why i dont read authors like jodi picoult because in my opinion she does stupid endings lol

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Sian wrote: "lol of course not and well not fairy tale happily ever after but def is a happy ending :)

No problem hun. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Glad we are on the same page. I too would throw the book across the room and huff with disgust.

message 20: by Sian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sian lol my hubby laughs on the rare occasion i get a book like it as he knows what it means :P

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko LOL My hubby just ignores me. LOL