Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Girl of Nightmares

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

“Cassio,” she whispers. “Get me out of here.”

Girl of Nightmares starts with Anna being gone. Remember the previous book? The whole jump straight into a fiery pit thing? Anyhow, it’s beet months since the little “accident," and Cas can’t stop obsessing over her. He hears her laugh and sees her, or things that remind him of her, everywhere he goes. He can’t focus on his ghost killing job. School sucks, and his friends can’t seem to stand him because of his douchey attitude. No surprise there.

Cas also can’t stop trying to get himself killed. Ok, maybe he’s not trying to get himself killed, but he’s not doing a good job staying away from trouble either. All of this is in the name of love! He will stop at nothing in order to get Anna back into the world of the living. Even though, you know, she’s dead and all.

I could tell there’s something fishy going on with Girl of Nightmares since page one. First of all, it did not suck me in since the beginning like Anna Dressed in Blood had and secondly, I could tell that it was obviously different than the previous installment.

My main problem regarding the book is Cas. He seems to have been replaced with a bitter old man. Yes, I know that it could be understandable. He lost his lover girl. He is suffering. He is constantly moping over Anna. Boo-hoo. However, this is not a decent enough reason to get on my nerves and ruin a perfectly good book. If only Girl of Nightmares was a perfectly good book, that is.

I liked the first book, Anna Dressed in Blood, and I was ok with the romance that was going on between Cas and Anna. Now, it’s been a year, give or take, since I read it, and I’m starting to have different thoughts about the two “lovebirds." The whole “I miss you, and I might just love you” part seems a bit unhealthy for Cas.

I mean, ok, hooking up with a ghost. Good luck getting to second base with that. But a ghost that is capable of mutilating people? And is full of blood, stab wounds and gore most of the time. Well, I think one would need a strong stomach even to think about going to second base with her. Just sayin’.

“ […] in the third chair in, Anna winks at me. Or maybe she just blinks. I can’t tell. She’s missing half of her face.

I mean come on. You’re still starry-eyed after this? Earth to Cas. She’s missing half of her fucking face. Just scream and hide under the desk already.

Let’s pretend this never happened.

“Anna is waiting in my bedroom. Her head lolls as if on a broken neck; her eyes roll up to mine.

Cas , don’t you feel like kissing her? Not even a little bit?

“I don’t try to read her lips. Too much black blood spills through them.

He’s so going to make out with her right now. His girlfriend. Ghost girlfriend. Someone’s going to die a virgin. I think the moral of this story is: love prevails over all. Or something.

“ “I love her.”
“She’s dead.”
“That doesn’t mean to me what it does to other people.”

That means you’re having a shitload of problems coming your way, kid.

Do you see what I’m talking about? How can I even remotely like this book with all this nonsense going on?

A short conclusion
I admit I don’t have the best memory out there. This means that I don’t remember much from Anna Dressed in Blood. I do remember the main events but not the little details. However, the thing that impressed me the most in Anna Dressed in Blood were the terrifying ghosts, carnage and the environment's overall dark and chilling feel. All these elements are absent in Girl of Nightmares, which reads more like teenage angst slash romance than horror. This is a very sad thing because Kendare Blake has a good talent in creating amazing horror concepts. I am extremely disappointed.

Favorite quote:
“She’ll see her dressed in blood, her hair floating like it’s suspended in water, eyes black and shining. And when she does, she won’t be able to catch her breath.

P.S. I’m still waiting for the real Anna #2 to come out. This one was probably just an April’s Fool joke.

Barely 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl of Nightmares.

08/13/2012
14.0% "I think I have the wrong book. *checks the cover* Nope, it's Anna #2. *sighs*" 7 comments
08/14/2012
83.0% "Almost there."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nadine I really love the cover of book 1. This one... seems a bit simple somehow.

message 2: by Dija (new) - added it

Dija I can't wait to see what you think of this. :D

Anzu The Great Destroyer @Nadine: The style seems too childish for me. I would have liked something darker.

@Dee: I can't wait to read it. I really hope it's good :D

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I did not like the first book. :( Hopefully, you see something good in this one.

Anzu The Great Destroyer Really? Why so?

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) It lacked tension and character development imo. I didn't care whether Cas lived or died. :(

Anzu The Great Destroyer Hmm. I actually enjoyed it a lot. It might be the fact that I was really in the mood for a book like it. I'm having high hopes for this one as well.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I hope it's good. Enjoy! :o)

Anzu The Great Destroyer Thank you ^.^

harlequin {Stephanie} With a three star rating you have murdered my happy. That sounds so obscene, but I'm too depressed to care.

Great *sobs* review Anzu.

Aly is so frigging bored Your review is amazing!

message 12: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Stephanie wrote: "With a three star rating you have murdered my happy. That sounds so obscene, but I'm too depressed to care."

She ruined it Steph.. Ruined everything...

@Aly: Thanks love :*

message 13: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah Anzu I LOVE this review! If only I'd read it before I started listening to the audiobook I could have saved myself the trouble!

message 14: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Thanks Sarah :D Omg you gave it one star? :))

message 15: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah It got 1 star from me because I didn't even manage to finish it. I was so disappointed with this series :o(

message 16: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah This is an awesome review isn't it Jenny! I would definitely skip this one if I was you LOL

message 17: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah Too true Jenny, too true :o)

message 18: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Thank you guys ^^

I wish I hadn't hurried to buy this one.. I was too curious to see what happens :/