Erin's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Sep 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from September 20 to 27, 2011

I struggled with my rating here - my initial instinct was to give it one star, but I think that's because my expectations for this book were incredibly high. Frankly, this is an amazing premise, and this book didn't do itself justice. It took too long to truly get started, and there were some really irritating stylistic choices (must we be subjected to yet another second-person vignette, really?), it reads like the least-researched period novel ever (you can tell me something is happening in 1892 or whenever, but you should probably show me that as well), the strength of characterization is all over the map, and it never actually delves into the nature of the magic it's about - we are told that it's complicated and hard to explain, and that's that. But at its heart, this is a cool story. It's a story about beautiful and weird things and people falling in love and magic and escape. And on the strength of those things, however poorly-developed they sometimes were, it's a decent enough read. It's just not nearly as good as it should have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

09/26/2011 page 257