Lauren Murphy's Reviews > When We Have Wings

When We Have Wings by Claire  Corbett

Nov 11, 11

bookshelves: aussie-author, crime-mystery, fantasy
Read from November 02 to 10, 2011

This story took me a little while to really get into. It almost reads like two stories from two separate genres. There’s the crime fiction story told from the perspective of Zeke, a private investigator hired by a family whose baby has been kidnapped by their nanny. Then there is the speculative scifi/ fantasy story written from the perspective of Peri, the nanny with wings. In the beginning I wasn’t entirely sure the meshing of the genres really worked, but it eventually all came together and I quite enjoyed the intriguing storylines.

It is set in a futuristic world where people can get wings and learn to fly. There are a second generation of children who are born with wings, or are the offspring of ‘fliers.’ Peri, a young girl from a turbulent childhood and poor town is hired to be the nanny of baby Hugo and in return she is granted wings. But, when another nanny with wings from a family of ‘fliers’ ends up dead Peri flees with Hugo to save them from a similar fate. Zeke becomes interwoven into the lies, deceit and conspiracies that lie beneath the privileged society of fliers as he tries to unravel the truth. It brings up issues of ethics and human rights with themes around surrogacy, child abuse and the problems that arise with advancements in technology.

When We Have Wings is an interesting story that is encompassed by a well-written crime story and interesting and thought-provoking scifi elements. It’s a nice change from the typical girl meets boy YA fantasy genre. There’s depth in the plot and well-rounded characters set against a futuristic background. I recommend this story to scifi, crime fiction and fantasy fans who want to read something unusual.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When We Have Wings.