Stephy's Reviews > The History of the Peloponnesian War

The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides

Apr 28, 08

Recommended to Stephy by: I guess my Father did
Recommended for: anyone who likes good stories
Read in January, 1985

I learned that I already knew the stories. I found this abandoned at the Willie Street Food Co-op in Madison, Wisconsin, in 1985. I hadn't done unpacking yet, all the books were in boxes, I was desperate. I took it home. The introduction was boring and went on forever. I skipped most of it and got on to book one, where things immediately became interesting, as I recognized stories my father told us as children, when we went for long walks, or car rides together.

Today, rereading it once again, thinking of my father's death when I was fifteen, and my sister, the one who just died, was twelve, I remember that he, born in 1899, had a classical education. He spoke Greek and Latin fluently from grammar school on, and was passing on to us the education he knew we would never get in the 1960s.

These were the stories of HIS childhood, and re-reading what he considered his childhood favorites helps me feel closer to him, and to my sister, who also went through life reading and rereading these ancient books, in the direction she was pointed by a father she barely knew.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of the Peloponnesian War.