Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

This is what happens when Urban Fantasy and Traditional Fantasy collide.

Results :

Epic.
Beautiful.
Tragic.
Captivating.

After finishing this book, I am in awe of this woman's writing skills. For as much as I love books from any fantasy sub-genre, I also have my own personal roadblocks. Very rarely, can an author use as much descriptiveness in a book without me wanting to tear my hair out. Often, writers show off their "words" just for the sake of trying to impress us. I never felt like this was the case with Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

Every single word had a purpose. Every single word connected one part of the story to another part of the story. Few authors have the gift to interweave fantasy worlds like this one has accomplished, almost seamlessly.

From the opening scene where Karou had to sketch her ex-boyfriend naked in front on an entire classroom, to the middle scenes where Karou takes flight, to the ending where clues from the beginning of the book finally started to unravel (the revelation of the book's title was brilliant)...it was one incredible journey.

Even the small details were treasures waiting to be found - Teeth. Scuppies. Pain. Horns. Hooves. Hybrids. Enemies. Lovers. Portals. Death. Birth. Betrayal. Hope. A wishbone charm.

Because I read this book over the holiday season, I was unable to sit down and read through it in a short period of time. For most books, this would be the kiss of death. Details are often lost when you can't keep them fresh in your mind. Never once did I have trouble picking the book back up after putting it down for a day or two. Every time I came back to Daughter, I did so with an inner excitement, knowing that something good was coming.

Karou, Akiva, Madrigal, Kaz, Brimstone, Issa...so many fascinating characters sprung up from the pages. I really hope we get to learn more about Kaz in the future. I missed that storyline in the second half of the book

There were no complaints from me about the supposed "genre shift" at the midway point. I kept waiting for one to happen and it never really did for me. The story's focus did shift as the past was brought to the forefront, but many of the early story details were answered in the end, bringing the book full circle. There was more of a "fantasy" focus to start, then the romance crept in midway, becoming a very heavy presence, but the fantasy aspect never died imo. If anything, the world building twisted in and out among itself, pulling in more and more details about the lives and lands of the seraph and the chimera.

I am completely thrilled that this book will become a series. The ending left me wanting for more.
102 likes · flag

Quotes Stacia (the 2010 club) Liked

Laini Taylor
“I don't know many rules to live by,' he'd said. 'But here's one. It's simple. Don't put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles--drug or tattoo--and...no inessential penises either.'

'Inessential penises?' Karou had repeated, delighted with the phrase in spite of her grief. 'Is there any such thing as an essential one?'

'When an essential one comes along, you'll know,' he'd replied.”
Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Laini Taylor
“Your soul sings to mine. My soul is yours, and it always will be, in any world. No matter what happens. I need you to remember that I love you.”
Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Comments (showing 22-71)

message 71: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Ahhhhh! I love, love, LOVE this book. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :-D

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm only a few chapters in, but it's been very easy to get into so far. I heard that the second half of the book was a bit different from the first half, so I'm curious if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

message 69: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Stacia ~ unlisted wrote: "I'm only a few chapters in, but it's been very easy to get into so far. I heard that the second half of the book was a bit different from the first half, so I'm curious if this is a good thing or a..."

It is a bit different and sort of changes the pace but in the end it all works out. Or at least, I think it does. It's not a good thing, or bad thing. Just...different. I look forward to hearing what you think once you've finished!

Angie Ooh, I'll be reading this probably next week!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Nice. :) It's always fun to have others to talk books with.

Sarah This book is different from anything else I've ever read. Definately thought provoking.

Natalia Rox I just finished this book and i really enjoyed Karou, she is just an amazing character. Somehow different than most of the other girl's in this genre right now. The second half of the book kind of threw me for a loop, but i stuck with it to see where she ended up. Very interesting story and if a second book pops up i will be there to read it.

message 64: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie been seeing this book everywhere and decided to see what it was about you liking it??

Stacia (the 2010 club) Sarah, I agree that it's different from the usual fare.

Xxenvy, she is pretty awesome so far, but I'm liking all of the characters for being unique. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like Kaz or the angel guy, or who is good vs. evil, but I guess I'll find out. Did the book end in a way that it seemed to be finished, or was there a hint of a possible book 2? When looking at the page count, I did see a "to be continued" note, but I didn't actually read anything on the page to know if that was serious or just one of those types of notes to say that there's more to happen off the pages...

Ottilie, pretty much what I had said in the above comments. The book is just different and hard to explain, but the writing is beautiful and unique. We'll see if I feel the same way when I'm done, but I'm hoping it will still be good.

Natalia Rox Stacia, I love the supporting characters too. I think the setting really helps to set them apart from the usual character types. Living in Czech has never sounded so appealing to me. The environment somewhat becomes a character on its own. (Damn Lonely Planet for ruining Poison!) I don't want to give too much away, but you will know who you're meant to like very soon. The book is left open-ended. I felt like it was meant to be one book then the publisher said, "Let's make it a series!"

The second half of the book feels very different than the first. You'll see what I mean... i still enjoyed myself, but i missed Karou. Can't wait to hear what you think.

message 61: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie Haha okay I'll keep an eye out than!

Riley Ditto everything Beth said!!

This is my favorite book of the year, and one of my favorites of all-time.

Regina I had worried about the genre shift (that is what I heard people call it) and I really liked it. I think it was important to the story and added so many layers to this complex tale.

Stacia (the 2010 club) The writing style is fascinating. In some books that are too detail oriented, I tend to skim a lot, but I haven't skimmed at all with this book.

I'm almost to the halfway point, but with Christmas almost here, it's been a bit more hectic around the house, so I haven't been able to read but a couple of chapters at a time.

Regina That was my experience exactly. It sounds cliche, but she is a true wordsmith.

The next few days will be crazy. But soon we can put this holiday stuff and family stuff behind us to return to our books.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Yay! Done, finally!

I can't believe there were people who didn't like this book. The only way I could see someone not liking this is if they hate anything featuring romance, or if they can't get into fantasy types of books. Otherwise...I just don't get it.

message 55: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Dec 28, 2011 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh, and does anyone think there's a chance (view spoiler)

message 54: by Regina (last edited Dec 28, 2011 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Regina I think so! (re to your spoiler)

ETA: Great review. I agree with everything.

Riley GOD I HOPE SO. I loved everything about DOSAB, but him most of all. And after all, he built his business (such as it was) on magic and (view spoiler). I am most definitely hopeful.

I'm also not sure how else (view spoiler), although I suppose that's part of the excitement and intrigue of the story. One way or another, I trust Laini Taylor to pull it off right.

Regina Riley. Great point. He doesnt have mine right now.

message 51: by Wendy F (last edited Dec 29, 2011 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F Interesting because I can completely understand why Akiva (view spoiler).

I loved (view spoiler).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel compassion for everyone. Akiva knew (view spoiler). All the secrecy caused everyone pain.

Regina Wendy, I never thought of it that way. Now that I think about it, (view spoiler)

I was angry with him, but I agree with you I was also sad for him and for them.

Wendy F I was definitely angry at the situation and I hated that (view spoiler).

message 48: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Dec 29, 2011 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) I had thought the same thing as Wendy did. In fact, Akiva admitted as much. He hadn't known the connection. All he wanted was (view spoiler).

Because of that, I felt no anger toward him. Only sadness for what could not be undone.

Regina I was very irritated at Brimstone, despite my affection for him. (view spoiler)

Stacia (the 2010 club) The only thing I can think of is that he wanted to protect her from herself, after seeing what had happened (view spoiler)

Regina I agree that is why he did it. Definitely.

Stacia (the 2010 club) At least he (view spoiler)

Regina And particularly not if it was something special from someone you loved -- and thought it to just be a keepsake.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I completely agree. You'd probably take extra care with it.

Riley Completely agree with Wendy F's comment about Akiva's actions and motivations and ignorance.

But no matter WHAT your reasons, if you (view spoiler) yeah, you're gonna need my forgiveness. As a highly emotional reader, I tend to feel what the protagonists feel (assuming I'm enjoying and connecting with the book). So yeah, Akiva needs "my" forgiveness too.

Not so much because I'm *angry* with him. But just... heartbroken. Aggrieved.

As for the wishbone, I wonder if (view spoiler). But Stacia's suppositions could be the explanation too.

I was irritated with Brimstone before I knew the whole history of what he was doing and hiding. Because people (parents especially) often hide truths, in order to protect (or so they think) their loved ones. In many cases, it's unnecessary and condescending. In this very specific instance, I understand and probably would have done the same thing as Brimstone. His secrets were... overwhelming, to put it mildly.

(Well, some people hide truths to keep an upper hand in the balance of power. Which is sort of what Karou suspects Brimstone of. But I don't think that was the case at all. I really think he just wanted to spare her pain for as long as possible.)

Totally random, but did anyone else's heart absolutely shatter when (view spoiler)

Stacia (the 2010 club) The part with (view spoiler) was a bit painful.

Regina Riley I agree completely. I was thinking about this in more neutral terms. Say it was a car accident, a true accident. (view spoiler) Personally, I could forgive him but I could not be with him.

Riley That's a good analogy ((view spoiler)). But that's also what worries me: how is Laini going to make a happy ending?? I have no clue. But like I said, I'm trusting her, and I'm looking forward to reading how she unfolds this for us.

message 37: by Mimi (last edited Dec 31, 2011 03:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith I can truly say I wasn't angry at Akiva, only at the way the book ended. I think that it's more than possible(view spoiler), in which case it would be easier for Karou to forgive him, for he had hurt her. Whether he meant to or not he had hurt her a lot. If it isn't so their reunion would be much more difficult and uncertain. Still I think it will happen. Personally, them not being together at the end would really, really upset me.

message 36: by Stacia (new) - added it

Stacia great review, I added it to my to-read shelf.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Baba and Stacia. :)

Stacia wrote: "great review, I added it to my to-read shelf."

I laughed so hard this morning when I logged onto my computer and saw that "Stacia" had liked my review. At first I thought there was some sort of GR glitch and my account was liking its own reviews.

Never mind that I actually know a Stacia. Nope, that would be the obvious answer!

It was early and I'd had a low amount of sleep. That has to be the reason for me being slow (hopefully).

message 33: by Stacia (new) - added it

Stacia Stacia ~ enchanted wrote: "I laughed so hard this morning when I logged onto my computer and saw that "Stacia" had liked my review...Never mind that I actually know a Stacia"

I wouldn't feel too bad (especially given lack of sleep). I laughed when I read this, 'cause I'd probably have done the same thing ;) In real life, I've only met 1 other Stacia, so I'm generally the first person I think of when I hear/see the name.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I feel like such a fraud now. It's not my real name! It comes from an old nickname of mine which then morphed into a video game character I played, and then after that it ended up becoming part of my pen name. But in all fairness...have you seen how many people named Amy there are on GR?!? I couldn't use my real name!

message 31: by Stacia (new) - added it

Stacia Stacia ~ enchanted wrote: "I feel like such a fraud now. It's not my real name!..."
LOL. Don't feel like a fraud, these days, our online names (plus our noms de plume) are as much a part of our identity as our real name. Back when I was in school, although I liked having a unique name, I hated having to tell everyone how to pronounce it. I named all my dolls very common names like Amy. Anyhoo, it's still pretty cool that you picked Stacia as part of your identity.

Tellulah Darling I love that your reviews are always crafted with such insight and honesty! Looking forward to reading this book.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thank you. :)

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Wonderful review!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks! It's an old review but I had to resend it to get the info out that the book is a free download for the next few days. I'm not an audiobook girl myself, but I have friends who loved this one on audio, so I hate for anyone to miss out on the book being free over the next few days. This one isn't cheap when it's full price!

message 26: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ Fabulous review Stacia - must check this one out.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thank you Becs. :) I'm almost tempted to re-read it before book 2 comes out but the TBR pile is out of control. Ah well.

message 24: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ I hear you Stacia!! I think I have more books I want to read than I could ever possibly hope to fit in even if I lived to a ripe old age!!

message 23: by Melea (new) - added it

Melea You HAVE to re-read before book 2!!! It's THAT good :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I had re-read the first and last couple of chapters when it was a group read not too long ago but I might go back and at least re-read the last few chapters again just to make sure I have it fresh in my head. The ending was sort of a big OH MY...WHAT JUST HAPPENED moment.

It's rare I re-read full books anymore but this one is tempting. I'm definitely re-reading Angelfall before book 2 comes out. That one is just all sorts of crazy and I will need a refresher on it.

« previous 1