Jules's Reviews > Garden of Secrets

Garden of Secrets by Barbara Freethy

Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: sent-4-review, reviewed

My 3.5 JEWEL review can be found at One Book Shy of a Full Shelf

In January, I discovered Barbara Freethy and her Angel's Bay series when I read and enjoyed my review of At Hidden Falls. I was drawn into the characters and the town immediately and wanted more.

Garden of Secrets is the fifth and final installment in Ms. Freethy's series set in the fictional town of Angel's Bay on the Central California coast. As with the other books in the series, this one can be read alone. I'm a sucker for stories in a series so I suggest reading all of them simply for the whole experience and enjoyment.

The people that populate this little town as well as the angels that are responsible for the name are what make this such a heart-warming and fun series. The author has filled her tale(s) with characters that tug at your heart and make you wish you lived there with them. I had already decided that I really liked Charlotte from the last book. She has a big heart and tries to help everyone else out while ignoring her own pain and past. Her biggest problem is trying to decide which of the gorgeous men who are pursuing her is the one she should take a chance on. I have to admit that I was rooting for Joe even back in the first book when he was still with Rachel. Charlotte's first love Andrew just never did it for me. I disliked him from the moment he showed up. I had a hard time with Charlotte forgiving him so easily and spending so much time with him.

The mystery and murder storyline was well done. The author kept me guessing until right near the end. I liked it when so many of the threads started to come together and several of the stories/issues were resolved.

I recommend this book as an enjoyable read with just the right touches of romance, intrigue and magic to appeal to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garden of Secrets.