Astrid's Reviews > Choke

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

Sep 19, 11

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choke.

Quotes Astrid Liked

Chuck Palahniuk
“The unreal is more powerful than the real. Because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. Because its only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. Stone crumbles. Wood rots. People, well, they die. But things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on. If you can change the way people think. The way they see themselves. The way they see the world. You can change the way people live their lives. That's the only lasting thing you can create.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“I admire addicts. In a world where everybody is waiting for some blind, random disaster or some sudden disease, the addict has the comfort of knowing what will most likely wait for him down the road. He's taken some control over his ultimate fate, and his addiction keeps the cause of his death from being a total surprise.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“More and more, it feels like I'm doing a really bad impersonation of myself.”
Chuck Palahniuk, Asfixia

Chuck Palahniuk
“We can spend our lives letting the world tell us who we are. Sane or insane. Saints or sex addicts. Heroes or victims. Letting history tell us how good or bad we are. Letting our past decide our future. Or we can decide for ourselves. And maybe it's our job to invent something better.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“Because nothing is as good as you can imagine it. No one is as beautiful as she is in your head. Nothing is as exciting as your fantasy.”
Chuck Palahniuk, Asfixia

Chuck Palahniuk
“For the first time in longer than I can remember, I feel peaceful. Not happy. Not sad. Not anxious. Not horny. Just all the higher parts of my brain closing up shop. The cerebral cortex. The cerebellum. That's where my problem is. I'm now simplifying myself. Somewhere balanced in the perfect middle between happiness and sadness. Because sponges never have a bad day.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“I feel my heart ache, but I've forgotten what that feeling means.”