Nora-adrienne's Reviews > The Gauntlet Assassin

The Arranger
By L.J. Sellers
Copyright August 2011
Publisher Spellbinder Press

The year is 2023 and ex-detective Lara Evans is working as a freelance paramedic in a bleak new world. She responds to an emergency call and is nearly killed when a shooter flees the home. Inside she finds the federal employment commissioner wounded, but she’s able to save his life.
The next day Lara leaves for the Gauntlet—a national competition of intense physical and mental challenges with high stakes for her home state. She spots the assailant lurking at the arena and soon after, she lands in deep trouble. Who is the mysterious killer and what is motivating him? Can Lara stop him, stay alive, and win the Gauntlet?

Lara Evans has had a really bad couple of years. She’s getting it together as a freelance paramedic and is a contestant in the Gauntlet. In this reality the country is in deeper shit then even we see in the daily papers or on the news. By hopefully winning this contest, she will bring big money to her state and hometown, along with new jobs that will mean police and firemen can be put back to work.

This story is shown through the eyes of two main characters who are introduced to us right from the start. Paul Madden is an IT specialist working for the government and is given a new project to work on that will take up all his work time. His normal routines will be covered by a co-worker. At this point I wondered what these two people, in differing parts of the country, with two different jobs had in common, and therein sits the basis for this mystery based in a near and almost very real seeming America.

I’m not going to hand out any spoilers. The book blurb tells you a lot more then you need to know, and should entice you into buying, borrowing, or stealing this book for your reading enjoyment.

L. J. Sellers is the author of the Detective Jackson series, and two other freestanding stories. I look forward to reading her next books, and will also be looking for the ones that are already on the shelves.

L.J. can be found at https://www.facebook.com/ljsellers and also at http://ljsellers.com/

FTC Full Disclosure: I was sent this book by the author who only hoped for a fair review of the story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gauntlet Assassin.